How would YOU play this Jeff Kollman lick?

I’m stuck on this lick and am wondering how you guys would play it. It’s from the Edwin Dare song Never Had Time and you can hear it here:

The tempo is around 120 bpm and the tab is here:

edwin

My friend transcribed this, he’s a professional transcriber, so I’m confident in his fingerings.

1 Like

Listening slowed down on Youtube it sounds like much more of a repetitive lick, where the four first notes of your TAB are repeated, followed by the ninth through eleventh notes of your TAB repeated. Ending with a slide up to F on the B-string instead of F on the E-string. Maybe hard to understand my explanation but I have no way of making a TAB.

1 Like

Maybe it’s easier to hear and see. :blush:

1 Like

Hmm, I guess that solution works perfectly. I will try this tomorrow!

I have to use hybrid picking though, I just cannot get over the strings cleanly on this one!

I’m not sure I get over perfectly either. Hybrid would make it cleaner. And of course the notes could be more articulated but in the original they smear together a bit. Probably why it’s so hard to hear exactly what’s going on.

1 Like

I use to take guitar lessons from him out in CA and one of the big things he does is combine picked notes with legato. Pick two notes, pull off two etc,

1 Like

You’re lucky! He’s one of my favourite players ever. His playing with Edwin Dare is superb.