How's it going!

Hey all, I’m Matt from the UK, and I’ve been faffing around for ages before deciding to sign up to the membership because, frankly, my picking and general technique is shockingly bad.

Been playing guitar with a some degree of focus for about 6 years… I played a bit in my early teens but it was all covers and big power chord indie stuff so no lessons, no instruction at all… leap forward 25 years and I get the bug again. Been through 3 guitar teachers, the last of whom got me going and got my theory interest going, but my technique that I picked up, turns out to be awful. Not helped by being 46… joint don’t move like they used to.

I also didn’t help myself by getting hooked on 8 string progressive metal (frankly I need a stern word with the Tosin Abasi chap), so I play mostly 8 string guitars… badly…

I terms of goals. I have so many bad habits but the most restrictive of them is the bouncing picking which is severely restricting my progress in terms of speed and accuracy. So I’m really looking to iron out a lot of the mess years of poor self tuition has left behind.

As I said, all of my early guitar experience was pick up tunes by ear and learning the odd chord or two from tab books and dictionaries. I wasn’t interested in soloing or things like that just big power chords an the odd riff.
I was only in the last 6 years that I started taking lessons in an attempt to at least prioritise what I should learn first,
In terms of where I am, I can play a scale, but I play it pretty slowly and pretty messily and i want to rectify that and hopefully this place will help

See ya’ll around the board

Matt

2 Likes

Hey Matt, thanks for signing up! Sorry for the delayed welcome, missed this earlier when we were out for the holidays. Hope you’re enjoying the material / finding everything you need so far…definitely let us know if you have any further questions, suggestions, etc.!