So I finally took the plunge, ordered the parts, and built myself a DIY Magnet. Overall, it wasn’t too hard to construct. I used the new technique involving the nylon rods, and other than giving myself a blister screwing the screws into the end of the rods, it wasn’t too hard.
I’m still figuring out the best way to wrangle the thing and my phone onto my guitars. I kind of wish I had a 3rd arm when juggling everything, but I’ll figure it out. I also wish the rubber padding was a bit more “grippy”, as it wants to slip a bit, especially on guitars without a lot of available surface area for mounting.
Now I want to put it to use, and record some videos of my attempt at emulating the USX motion, and try to cure what I fear has been a lifelong habit of string hopping. Hope to see you in the Technique Critique section soon!