I can only play with a strap

At my “best” anyway. It used to kinda bug me because I didn’t want to have to rely on a strap, but at this point it’s second nature enough that I can live with it. It helps me get the right angles while maintaining good posture.

This isn’t a problem that has to be solved, I just figured I’d throw it out there in case anyone else feels the same. So… anyone? Thoughts?

3 Likes

I can only play with a strap too. Otherwise I feel like I’m fighting to keep the guitar in place. I can’t be dealing with that, I got bigger problems to solve :joy:

2 Likes

I can only play my best with a strap. I have the guitar in a classical-ish position though and that’s impossible without a strap, foot rest or some brace.

I’ve never been able to get a comfortable fret hand posture, on the whole neck, when balancing the guitar on my right leg. If I’m just messing around with something not too difficult, I can rest on the right leg, no strap. I’d really prefer a strap though!

I think other instruments are similar. Keyboardist who stand probably like things just the right height for them. Same with even concert pianists most likely needing just the right seat height. Point is, we’re not weird just because we need an accessory :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely. If my seat is the wrong height or not in the right spot, I cannot play the piano. Muscle memory can’t be dealing with that haha

2 Likes

I suspect that one SHOULD play with a strap, sitting or standing. Some people seem to have a different sitting vs. standing neck angle, but I am not smart enough for that, and need uniformity.

The biggest mystery to me are people that can sit with their guitar horizontal and parked on their right leg!

3 Likes

As a teenager I usually played sitting with the guitar on my right leg (and no strap). Nowadays, I keep my main practice guitar on a floor stand with a strap attached at all times (and secured by Dunlop Lok Strap rings). I almost always practice standing, with the strap. Any time I do sit down with the guitar, I keep the strap, and rest the guitar on my left leg.

1 Like

@Frylock I practice a good amount sitting down (honestly most of the time) and even then, I still have the guitar weight mostly in the strap. When I played an LP-style guitar the majority of the time, the weight was totally in the strap (which started to aggravate my shoulder / back after a while). Having a lighter Strandberg with the cool “middle” lower cutaway means I can transfer a good amount of weight to my thigh!

That’s why I also always keep the strap on (no locks though lol)

It’s not just about protecting the guitar, either. I’m typically barefoot or in socks when I’m practicing, and the last thing I need is a crushed toe.

1 Like

@Frylock lol that’s a new fear I need to add to the list

1 Like

+1 here too. I always play with a strap whether standing or seated.

1 Like

+1 here as well, I also play either sitting or standing with a strap. I have a tall body and I just cannot sit with the guitar on my lap without putting my wrist at a painful angle. I play with the guitar “high” on my chest too a lot like Frank Gambale. This is just normal and comfortable for me.

1 Like

Re: strap locks, I’ve got some straps with them, some without. I just came across this though

I picked one up the other day. It’s comfortable (I got the padded option), just as easy as the more traditional strap locks but you don’t have to do the slight mod on your instrument (installing the locking strap pins).

2 Likes

As long it doesn’t result in slouching (excessive thoracic flexion with shoulders protracted and internally rotated), I think playing with a strap while seated is fine.

Sometimes the weight of the guitar on the strap results in fatigue which encourages slouching, and sometimes slouching occurs because we’re trying to relieve pressure from an uncomfortable strap.

I really like these KLIQ AirCell straps:

1 Like

I dont have the same issue but yesterday i decided to experiment and readjust my guitar strap so the guitar sits a little lower when standing. Not super low like Hendrix just a bit lower than what i had. I have long arms so my thought is it might make string tracking easier if i can adduct my shoulder and elbow without my arm being bent as much

1 Like

This looks cool. I am a fan of the dimarzio clip lock straps and have them on all my guitars but i might give this one a try

1 Like

I find after a while of practicing, I start to slouch, and find it very hard to not slouch at that point. It then becomes harder to play accurately or keep the guitar in the right place.

2 Likes

@joebegly man I wanted to try this strap but apparently it doesn’t work well with pins that are behind the neck “SG style”.

@Tom_Gilroy I was looking at KLIQ but they’re too long for me on bass (and guitar last I checked). Was gonna check out either a signature John Patitucci one or something equally super short + wide, maybe comfort strapp? Any recommendations?

Even the short length version?

If it were me I’d just get the KLIQ and get an alterations shop to make it shorter.

1 Like

Semi-related question:

Has anyone bought (or built?) a guitar stand like those Claus Levin uses in his YT videos?

In a nutshell, it should be like having the guitar on a strap without needing to hold the guitar weight with your back/core etc.

2 Likes

No experience, but here’s a review of the Konig & Meyer “Guitar Performer Stand”, which looks pretty close to what Claus uses: