I can play with correct motion and pick slant, What to play?

So I’ve manage to correct my pick hold and can use both slanting (down or up) when I need. And I use wrist motion.
The Question is, what to play next? what are good licks to work on, or music sheets. I like Metal and Jazz-Fusion. Thanks!
Jonathan

1 Like

Only you can answer that :slight_smile:

You could pick (ha!) a song you like that seems approachable, see what picking challenges it contains and build from there.

It’s basically impossible to give meaningful technical suggestions without some footage, so if you feel like filming some clips in technique critique, we’ll be happy to take a look!

These are our standard filming tips:

I would say try and figure out what specific players you are really into, and then get some slow down app or software and analyze your favorite songs, i would suggest to focus on one song, down to key signature, what sort of modes are the lead players riffing in, the chords, phrases, arpeggios. Best to listen a few times to your most favorite song, then listen to it at 50% speed all the way through, and set markers for key points of lead lines, most software has a marker function. Try and figure out what kind of structure the song is as a whole ex. abca, what style of rhythm is it ex. swing, anything you notice jot down what it was and set a marker. Then you go back, and each marker you loop an A B section around, and as its looping try to figure it out, make sure also to figure out what mode the lick or sound is that you are analyzing. Utilize the slow down function to your advantage, and if it is still to fast record the loop slowed down, and slow it down further. Once you get the hang of this after a week or so, every once and awhile when you arent stressed or have a quiet time with no interruption only, listen to the looped section at maybe 50% speed for one minute, after that stop it, and try to figure it out from playing it back in your mind. Oh and get transcription paper, or use a source like soundslice to notate your findings if you have a bad memory like me. Dont be too hard on yourself if you are having trouble notating rhythm wrong, just by hearing it you will get it by playing along, but make sure them pitches are correct, but later on if there is something you are struggling with fight like hell to overcome it. Each day when you come back to that song you will begin to hear it more clearly, and fix errors in incorrect pitches that you thought were right.