I cannot do an efficient inside picking

Hi everybody,

Recently I wanted to learn Always with me, always with you, and I’m stuck at the beginning of the melody when there are few quick notes:

It is just 5 inside picking notes between the 2 first strings (it is so sad to be stuck there :sweat_smile:) and I cannot play them properly.

So I wanted to improve globally my inside picking (not only this phrase), and I have found one exercise from John Petrucci Rock Discipline:

Slow version:

Fast version:

I have improved a bit my speed with this exercise, but I have the feeling that I cannot go faster anymore (don’t laugh, it is still very slow for most of you I think so :joy: )

My inside picking:

Please could you tell my what is wrong with my motion?

I have retranscribed the exercise under guitar pro, if you want you will find attached the tab. (Number above the notes are just the finger used.)

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting! FYI I just fixed the formatting so the YouTube links display. For future reference, just make sure each video URL is pasted in as a separate paragraph (on its own line with blank lines before and after) and the embedded video will show automatically.

1 Like

Great song! First off, Joe starts that sequence on an upstroke so it’s outside picking. The YouTube player audio is a little out of sync. When you line it up in Final Cut, it’s an upstroke. You can play it anyway you like, of course.

But more to the point: what you are really asking here is how to perform what we call the “double escape” pickstroke. This is a special type of pickstroke where the pick makes a curved motion in the air. This is how you play one note per string type lines. And the good news, is we have two lessons on this subject, depending on the kind of picking motion you want to use.

If you want to use wrist motion, like Petrucci does, here’s the lesson:

If you want to use a combination of wrist motion and arm motion, similar to what players like Jimmy Herring do, here’s that lesson:

A quick disclaimer: in these lessons, we’re calling this type of picking motion “crosspicking”. It’s a little confusing for a number of reasons and we’re going to stop doing it in the new Pickslanting Primer material on this subject which we are filming now. Instead, we’re going to say “double escape” when we mean the curved type of pickstroke, and we’re going to say “single escape” when we mean the kind of pickstroke that looks like it moves more in a straight line.

Apologies from us on the confusing terminology. This will all be straightened out soon. In the mean time, check out these lessons when you get a moment and then get back with questions if you have any. You can post them in this thread if you like, that’s fine, since this is a subject probably a lot of players want to know about.

2 Likes

Oh I’m sorry I haven’t seen that, I’ll do it on my future posts :slight_smile:

@Troy
Thank you for answer. I haven’t seen that is was starting on an upstroke, but both of them are very difficult for me :sweat_smile:

I haven’t seen these videos yet, I’ll watch them and get back when it will be done.