I follow this guy on instagram, he has an almost strictly thumb rotation technique

Sorry for the quality, this is the best video I could find where you can see his hand and thumb rotation. It’s really interesting, it’s like he’s drawing or writing with the pick. Have you guys seen this before?

2 Likes

Impressive technique.

I personally think using the thumb/finger rotation combination is great… I use it myself. It gives you great precision. However, by itself… it has a big limitation in that you can’t get wide pick-strokes from only that mechanic without fatiguing very quickly… and of course… tiny pick-movements will make changing strings difficult.

At high speeds… you really have to ‘mix-in’ another mechanic, and he does that. Im not sure which mechanic he’s mixing in… maybe the wrist.

Honestly, I think the secret may be that middle-finger wag haha.

Here’s another video, better lighting and quality, showing his technique and slight motion from the elbow/shoulder/wrist

Some people call this Scalpel Picking.

1 Like

Whatever he’s using sounds damn good, very accurate. Would be interesting to know if he only uses this on speed stuff or whether he has a more standard looking technique for mid tempo stuff. As @hamsterman points out, it’s a super small movement. But hey, if it works for him!

2 Likes

Check out Norifumi Shima

2 Likes

Yeah. there is a really clean speed-picker who uses that term. Basically… he uses the thumb/finger and adds it to his existing wrist method.

So basically… at his highest speed (220 bpm 16th), he can use the combination of two mini-mechanics (thumb/finger & wrist) to get a nice-sized pickstroke. It’s an additive effect. It’s super clean and accurate.

Here’s his video:

1 Like