I have a theory Question about Yngvie's "Sword 2 octave"

I am referencing the PDF titled: “Sword 2 octave”- I found this scale to be very exotic sounding so I dissected the notes as D, C#,B,Bflat,G,F#,E,D. I plugged the notes into a scale finder online and it says, no scale fits this sequence. I did a google search and not much comes up except a link mentioning the “Enigmatic Scale” (DUH) on piano, but when I went into it, it made no sense. It seems like it could be a mix between a GMajor/Eminor and something else like a Bflat and C#. Any insights to this scale?Thanks. BTW, I am very impressed with the amount of details Troy has put into the course.

1 Like

Ok, normally we go up the scale, so: D,E,F#,G,Bb,B,C#.

Now, play the scale but starting from the B note and you have the B harmonic minor scale. So the scale you gave is the 3d mode of harmonic minor. Someone online says it’s called Ionian #5. So take your normal Ionian scale but now instead of a 5 play a #5.

1 Like

It’s Phrygian Dominant! It’s one of the things Yngwie is famous for. Learn more about it here - by watching some Mike Stern stuff, of all things (!?):

https://troygrady.com/interviews/mike-stern/chapter-4-phrygian-dominant/

1 Like

Ah, Thank you Sifu! I was thinking it sounded like Phrygian or Locrian. Phrygian Dominant.
Thanks for the link. I will check it out right away.

Thank you for the window Roverton. The third mode of harmonic minor. I think I vaguely remember a relative correspondence with Phrygian Dominant?

What I wrote was assuming D as the tonic.
With F# as tonic it’s phrygian dominant, the fifth mode of B harmonic minor. (Count five notes up from B and you’re at F#).

1 Like

Thank you for helping me to understand theory.

1 Like

Hey man, no problem.

So, anytime time you want to play phrygian dominant on a tonic you just have to apply these intervals: 1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7. Let’s say you want to play phrygian dominant on an A major chord. Start on the A note and apply these intervals from there.