I need help with the site

The site is great however it is very vast. And although I appreciate the history of where picks come from and all the time that was put in to making the interesting animated videos, I am a ‘cut to the chase’ type of guy. Is there a way I can find which videos show the exact various picking techniques without all the filler? I don’t really see any ‘instructional’ type videos that are not just slowed videos of Troy playing the licks at full speed. I hope I was clear…I appreciate all the help. Thanks! Darren

1 Like

Hi @dpag777, welcome to the Forum!

Have you already checked out this page? It provides a detailed overview of the Primer and shows where to find the various topics:

1 Like

I know what you mean - it’s not like a lot of other ‘instruction’ type sites. Once you get used to it, you’ll find the whole ‘primer’ is the foundation. It’ll give you the concepts and lingo…it’s pretty comprehensive so yes there are things like the history of picks. Once you get though all of it you will have the ability to recognize where your personal technique is. When you hit a wall - the forum has a ‘technique critique’ section that is immensely helpful at diagnosing the issue. Otherwise there are great interviews with the world’s best shredders (in just about every style that uses a pick) - these interviews have a breakdown of how these players accomplish what they do complete with tabs and demonstrations. Pretty remarkable.

Since joining I’ve been able to 1) get my picking together going pretty fast then 2) figure out what type of picking style I inherently have and focus on those players that share it - in my case it’s AL Di Meola and John McLauglin…I tend to review those interviews I’m interested in and choose a few challenges I have to work on from there.

1 Like