I will never be able to play some passages fast

…until I figure out how to get the pick to pass through the string smoothly on both the downstroke and the upstroke. The downstroke is never a problem, but the upstroke is a problem.

The string acts as resistance. I got to minimize or get rid of that resistance.

I’ve even tried different picks. Years and years ago I used to play with .46mm believe it or not. Thick picks felt bad to me. But back then I wasn’t that interested in playing some shred-like passages either.

It’s strange. There are times during my practice that I can take one string and play just 3 notes on it, like down-up-down and make it sound really good, and I can hear all three pickstrokes.

But if I try to expand upon that and use two or three strings it all goes downhill.

The fact that I can take just one string and play three notes and hear all three notes being picked kinda tells me that I have it in me. I have what it takes to do it.

But it’s really hard to expand upon that.

Something about the way you’re holding the pick doesn’t work with your picking mechanic, then. You can search around the forum for “garage spikes”, as this is the issue you’re having - perhaps you’ll find some tip that’ll help.

2 Likes

I don’t want to change the way I hold the pick. It feels very comfortable and natural to me. I would rather adjust my motion.

If I remember correctly when you do the upstroke you have to come out at a kind of a steep angle. I’ll practice doing that.

Its not necessarily pick grip, assuming you aren’t death gripping the pick. It’s probably your escape angle hard to say without footage.

Impossible to say without footage.

Okay I have changed the angle of escape. I do the upstroke at a fairly steep angle right out of the strings and I have not gotten stuck once on the strings. Plus the sound is better.

I’m just wondering if I am going to get enough speed this way.

When my female friend comes over next time she has a phone she can take film of my picking motion now and I’ll try to upload it.