Identifying the difference between wrist and forearm motion

Thanks for chiming in, Troy! I think you’re right about this. GageBonners picking motion seems to be more wrist.

I don’t want to hijack the thread but I find this interesting. Would you say that all rotational picking motion is more or less a blend of rotation and wrist? When it comes to my motion, it really feels like only rotation. If the wrist is involved, it is completely unconsciously. What would you say about your motion, @GageBonner? Does it feel like wrist or forearm rotation?

Just FYI I can sometimes choose to consciously involve the wrist to some extent. One such situation is when palm muting low strings (hence the question to GageBonner). For me, I get significantly lower top speed when my wrist is consciously involved and at the same time it feels more tense and more like work. The gain is that it’s more reliable. On the lower strings, where the wrist is almost straight, rotation gives almost no power to the pick strokes which makes the technique very unreliable. This is a problem that GageBonner doesn’t seem to have so I have a feeling his technique is more derived from wrist motion.

But since we’re on this matter, is there ANYONE you know of @Troy that plays with rotation only?

No worries, I hijacked the thread for you!

Not all. The EVH tremolo motion is purely rotational. And your technique looks similar when picking on single strings, just with a straighter wrist. But blends of the two are probably the most common, typically in combination with a wrist motion that is not strictly deviational, closer to the “up and down” axis of wrist flexion-extension.

Here’s a quick and dirty:

It’s a little tricky to do this in the air and still have it look realistic, but I think you can see the difference here. When the wrist and forearm operate together, it creates a wrist pumping action, like a operating a motorcycle throttle.

When you perform the motorcycle motion, it doesn’t feel like two joints operating simultaneously. This is especially true when it’s small. It just feels like small twisty motion. However, it does have a specific feel to it, and it does feel different than pure forearm. So to the extent that someone can do both motions, they can learn to recognize the difference.

On top of this, there are different blends of this motion. You can have the arm mostly rotating with only a little wrist, or the wrist mostly moving with only a little rotation. When you look at Joscho Stephan’s Gypsy technique, for example, you can see this flip-flopping by looking at the “wiggle zone” — the area where you would typically wear a watch band. Sometimes it moves more, sometimes it moves less. But the picking motion is equally large. So that tells us the mix of joints used to create the motion is changing.

The more “wristy” of these blends creates a more straight-line motion where the hand mostly appears to move side to side, covering big distances across the strings if necessary. So it is possible to use what looks like a Gypsy-style setup, with a very flexed wrist, which we normally think of as what “forearm” players look like, but still perform a motion that is almost entirely wrist. This is common in strumming techniques, and we put an example of this in our recent YT clip about testing EVH-style wrist motion:

Players like Doug Aldrich appear to balance more toward the wrist end of the spectrum, where you will see more side-to-side hand motion and less arm wiggle. Althought like Joscho, he has variation as well, where some motions look more forearm and some look more wrist. There appears to be some degree of forearm involved in all his motions.

To make matters even more confusing, the blend can also change in the middle of a phrase. For example, if you check out this recent Instagram clip, the motion on the high E is pure forearm. By the time you get down to the D string, it’s almost all wrist, like the strumming motion. Watch the wiggle zone!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH4C2qhHxda/

In your case, your technique looks mostly forearm, which is cool. However I think during certain string changes, when you need to cover more horizontal distance across the strings, it becomes more wrist. This also probably happens during sweeping. That’s what the wrist is good at, covering distance across strings, because its plane of operation is 90 degrees from the forearm’s plane of operation. Once you’re picking on a string again, it goes back to forearm again. Play some multi-string phrases, esp. with sweeping, and see if you notice differences in the wiggle zone.

1 Like

One interesting question we can ask is if this feeling of “work” that you notice feels the same as the table-top wrist motion tests in our recent update. Have you tried any of those? When done correctly the table tests should feel easy. If they feel that way when you do them, then it’s possible that whatever you’re doing on the lower strings isn’t wrist, or isn’t being done correctly in some way. i.e. Maybe there is some way to locate the easy feeling with some experimentation.

If you get a chance to test this, would be interesting to see how it feels to you.

Thanks Troy for clearing things out! There could very well be some wrist in my motion then but, like I said, I definitely can’t feel it. And it is in that case very different to what all my other use of wrist feels like.

I know, this thread shouldn’t be about me (either) so you might have to make this a new thread again. :slight_smile: But since you seemed interested in our experiences with the new primer, I might as well take the chance and get some feedback.

Trying out the motions on the table, my wrist can do the door knocking motion at around 210 and the other versions in the same ballpark. Very much the same values as your attempts as a matter of fact. And, like you said was common, I can’t really reach those exact speed on the guitar even if it is close. Comparing the feeling of doing the motions on the table vs on the guitar, there was less difference than I had expected. The string adds a little extra tension with might the reason for the small difference. But this is only a fact when playing with wrist. I don’t experience the strings slowing me down with rotation for some reason.

With the wrist it feels like I have to consciously do the motion back and forth. With rotation it’s like turning on a faucet. The picking almost happens by itself and there is a fluidity to that which is never the same with wrist, either on table or guitar.

One other thing that always bothered me, was the fact that whenever I engage any wrist motion, the forearm sort of makes a sympathetic motion in the opposite direction. The elbow is not moving WITH the wrist as in elbow motion, but in the opposite direction at every stroke. When looking at some of the best wrist pickers, they seem to have completely still forearms and only the wrist is moving. For me this is totally impossible. And maybe this is also the cause of the feeling of ”doing work” when playing with wrist. The strange thing about this is that when doing forearm rotation, the forearm is, not surprisingly, moving even more. But this motion feels effortless. No idea why.

Here are a few videos demonstrating this. First off is my old pronated DSX. Reliable but doesn’t feel “free”.

Next one is a supinated DSX motion. This one I sometimes use together with USX when playing slower stuff that requires both escapes. It would be great if this worked better somehow.

Here is one that I never really worked on and also a motion that I don’t feel like you adress in the primer, but I might have missed it. Or it’s a bad motion… :slight_smile: Supinated wrist USX. It feels horrible at high speed. When I kick this in is usually on lower speeds on lower strings where it I can get a fatter attack than the rotational motion.

This is the rotational DSX motion. So much more fluid for me. Can’t feel the wrist in the alternating picking motion at all.

Last one is my current super sloppy version of DBX. I haven’t worked very much on this either. And here I can feel the wrist working and you can also se my whole arm getting involved. It feels like work and not very high max speed.

Damn I’m tired and I’m almost forgot why I’m posting this. Hope there is something to take away from this anyway.

2 Likes

Troy’s earlier comment about a wrist/forearm combo seems to be right. I tried picking with pure wrist and it feels terrible, picking with pure forearm feels okay, but somehow “off,” so I guess it’s mostly forearm in some sense.

This is really neat, so I tried it. What I find is that when I combine sweep picking with standard alternate picking, I feel “out of position” when I switch. I made a riff that switches between sweeping and triplets, tabs here:

Out of Position.pdf (41.6 KB)

I play it here:

https://streamable.com/vfny8j

This feels quite tricky to play, and to my eye it looks like it’s because I have to change the position of my wrist and pick angle a bit, but you can see a bit of the wiggle start when the picking part comes.

That is fast :eyes:

These are awesome! Thanks for filming these. And thanks for doing those tests.

The wrist attempts look great. I get that you’re saying they feel like more work than the forearm techniques, and that’s fine. They may very well be. It’s tempting to just say, well, maybe you’re just better at forearm. But what does that really mean? Maybe it means that there is something you’re actually doing differently with the wrist approaches that is less optimal. Maybe, as you say, activating some other kind of motion in the forearm or arm.

I would also point out that not every wrist player is totally still — Andy Wood has some elbow joint motion when he goes fast. But he doesn’t really do a forearm wiggle unless he’s doing inside picking so that’s a decision, not a side effect. So maybe there is some very slight improvement in your wrist motion that can be learned and improved upon that you’re not yet doing. Because my earliest picking motions were all forearm-oriented, I definitely got a little of that wiggle sometimes. And I still see it on mandolin because the setup feels weird. But I’m seeing less of it now as I’ve spent time on and off tinkering on that instrument. I suspect at some point it will go away as I figure out how to only activate the wrist joint itself.

One thing which I can tell you helped for me is playing these '60s hardtail guitars where the bridge is super low. I can anchor completely on the body, above the strings, and that provides a flat reference point. There is much less tendency for me to wiggle the arm when I’m doing that, because the body surface is a tactile reminder to just go sideways and not rotate. Your bridge looks pretty low on that guitar, you could try sitting on the body just above it.

FYI all your wrist DSX attempts look supinated to me. Some are just more supinted than the others. That first video, that’s still supinated. If you look at your pinky heel in that clip — that’s the fat pad on the pinky side of the hand, where the palm meets the wrist joint. Is that part of your palm touching the strings?

If you look at Al’s form here, you can see that part of the palm resting on the bridge/strings. Just the poster frame for the video displays the contact:

Is that what you’re doing? When you see this kind of contact, this usually means the arm is tilted toward the pinky side of the hand, i.e. supinated relative to the strings. To actually be pronated relative to the strings, you’d need to lift that pad off the strings, and into the air a small amount. That’s what Molly Tuttle looks like.

From the Di Meola anchor position, a pure deviation motion would go down into the strings and trap. If you can do downstroke escape from this arm position, that means you would have to make the “2:00” motion, which is the motion Al makes. This is not pure deviation — it’s close to it, but a little angled. At :53 of that clip he plays the main riff to that tune and that looks exactly like 2:00 motion to me.

Again, take this with a grain of salt, but these are the best markers I know to look at for at the moment. But if that’s the case in your form, then that’s the arm position that you could use for all the motions you are demonstrating here — wrist DSX, wrist USX, and wrist DBX.

I think what you’re doing in your USX attempt is actually going down toward the body of the guitar, rather than simple sideways at the joint. This is (roughly) a 4:00 motion, i.e. “dart thrower motion”, which is also close to deviation, just on the other side of the axis compared to Al’s motion. The pick taps at the beginning of the clip are definitely doing that, moving more straight down toward the guitar rather than sideways across the joint. It’s less clear if the picked notes are doing that, but they might be. If you find that motion to be strange, that could be one reason why. To be clear, there is nothing wrong with 4:00 motion, but it could be that you’re digging into the strings a little when you try to do it from this arm position.

The textbook example of wrist USX from this arm position is Mike Stern. His motion is just pure deviation, going sideways with a slightly tilted arm. We teach this motion in the “wrist motion” section of the Primer, but we don’t have any table-top tests for pure deviation yet because I couldn’t figure out a comfortable way to do it. When resting on a table, the pinky heel has to lift off the table top to truly be deviation and not 2:00. And I couldn’t figure out an easy way to trick someone into doing that. Maybe placing something under there, like a pad of some kind.

Anyway, lots of typing here. Thanks for doing these and hope some of this helped!

Love the lick and your amazing playing! So clean! I hear you about the issue though. I have the same. I think it’s a lot less problematic when going from an ascending sweep into alternate picking though, just for this reason. The hand is in more or less the same position, only the motion has to change. But when going from a descending sweep, like in your great lick, it’s much more of a change in hand posture as well. Can’t detect much of a problem for you from watching this video though, but I understand that it probably feels differently than it looks. Here is my attempt at your lick with the addition of a scale after the ascending sweep. And excuse my toddler in the background.

When we’re on to this subject, I actually had a thread about this topic some time ago:

Great playing. Everything you are doing here looks correct to me. Sweeping moves parallel to the strings so you have a pick attack issue. This where the term pickslanting is still relevant. Your slight form change is a common and necessary solution to get the pick to have smooth attack considering it is no longer following an escape path. The slight change in arm position and thumb joint flex to get the pickslant to be correct for this is basically what Gambale does when sweeping, as is the use of wrist motion and finger motion to cover the wide distances.

Your alternate technique and your sweeping technique are just two different techniques, and that’s why the form change is necessary. But you’re combining them perfectly smoothly and I see nothing wrong with that.

Hey thanks for that long and in depth answer, Troy!

Well, there is a definite speed advantage to the rotation anyway. I have a hard time thinking that my wrist is ever gonna develop the same speed. And to be honest, this might also be why it feels a bit backwards to work on wrist since I’m not really getting the speeds of early Yngwie and Gilbert with it. But even if rotation feels good and fast, it can sometimes be a little unreliable, especially on the low strings. So what I really need is a solution for that. Maybe I will do a Technique critique thread about that specific problem soon.

Yes, I know that this is technically a supinated setup but, to me, the feeling of touching the pad of the thumb either on the guitar body or strings, is what creates the “feeling” of pronation. In actuality, if I go ahead and lift the pinky heel, it doesn’t really change the feel or the playability of the setup in any significant way. At least not where I’m at right now. The other two wrist versions, where there is no contact with the thumb pad, feel totally different though.

Yes, I know all those motions are possible with that setup but, for me, this setup just feels way too close and cramped up against the guitar to be able to do any other motion than DSX. I can’t for my life get a working USX from there. The range of motion is minimal and it all feels really rigid. Trying to do something that cover more strings, like the riff of Bark at the moon, feels like playing with the whole arm tied down and hindered to move. It’s just laughably horrible. Also it’s hard for me not to engage the elbow when doing deviation motion. And this is probably why I feel I need to exaggerate and do 4:00 motion to keep the wrist being in control.

Here is my attempt at using this setup and USX motion. It starts off with how I normally use it with DSX motion though. Then I try some USX in the same setup. Car crash! So much that I forgot the riff. :frowning: And finally how the more supinated setup I feel more comfortable with. One thing I’d like to say though is that the more pronated setup feels a little bit more reliable since the hand has more stable contact with the guitar. So even if the motion is hindered and cramped, I feel powering through with that setup would almost feel safer in a live scenario. The rotational version is flimsier and more hit and miss sometimes.

You already have a great USX technique in the forearm department, so I don’t know that I’d worry too much about trying to do single escape using these flatter wrist techniques. My solution to the lower strings issue is to use more wrist flex. The motion then just becomes more wrist-forearm, instead of just forearm. Maybe I could do pure forearm on those strings, as well, but I haven’t really worked on it.

The real advantage of wrist motion is when it comes to mixed escape type lines, where you have combinations of 1, 2, 3, and 4-note fingerings. You see this kind of stuff in country, or Andy Wood style playing, but it also comes up in common rock patterns like descending fours starting on a downstroke, where you have all the inside picking. My wrist motion probably doesn’t feel as easy as your forearm motion on simple phrases, and it’s definitely not as fast. But there is no technique I know that feels as easy as wrist does on really complicated phrases.