If not crosspicking, then what?

Analyzed my 25+ years of picking and for the vast majority of stuff I play, I am crosspicking. The only place I get tripped up is the really fast stuff, but I have managed to do that by using sixes that don’t require a change in pick slant.

Crosspicking doesn’t care if there are different numbers of notes per string, even single notes.

Crosspicking doesn’t care if the rhytym changes, because your hand/wrist is not locked into hyper speed. You can inject swing or other changes.

Crosspicking can be used to play everything up to about 70% speed.

If I am to understand CTC pickslanting primer, many people use predominantly downslant or upslant, and in order to play the majority of stuff, they “hop” upwards when their pick would otherwise get trapped between strings. Is that really how other people play?

It seems that there are two basic choices:

1. Use primarily upslant or downslant and:
    a) Adhere to the “five rules” (or)
    b) Learn to change pickslant when required

2. Use crosspicking for everything up to 75%. For speeds above 75%, use primary upslant or downslant and:
    a) Only play speed runs that don’t require change in pick slant (or)
    b) Learn 2w pickslanting for these fastest shred runs

It seems like there are two fundamentally different ways to approach pickslanting. Either it is something that you NEED in order to play everything (if your pick is primarily slanted), or its only something you need for shred licks if you have good crosspicking.

If this is true, it might be possible to make a case for one approach or the other. For instance, I could see someone having serious problems learning the Martin Miller licks and playstyle for improvising over CAGED, if they primarily have a pickslant (the phrases are dissimilar enough that you really need crosspicking.)

1 Like

Yeah, I am wondering the same about CAGED or awkard patterns such as the blues scale. To me these are patterns that should be fairly playable with 2WPS… but I always had issues with them b4 switching to X-picking.

WIth a basic ascending CAGED pattern with 2 notes on the G string… when I started with a ‘downstroke’… there was always a akward gap. I later found out why… because I couldn’t do 2NPS ascending outside picking… This was kinda a shock to me… but anyhoo… X-picking did fix it for me.

2 Likes