Improper pick point, nothing else is comfortable

Hello, so i have played with a big positive pickpoint for a long time. I am a dsx player with technique similiar to andy wood/al di meola. However as i understand this pick point is not great for my setup, but everything else feels weak/hard to hold the pick and weird. Any thoughts?

I made sure to put my hand in the exact position that i play in.

If it’s working, and it feels good, then don’t worry about it. How it looks is far less important than how it functions.

2 Likes

Assuming you aren’t death-gripping the pick, the point is going to go wherever is smoothest to match your motion. Nothing wrong with positive pick point here.

1 Like

Avoid thinking about proper and improper. It works or it doesn’t.

1 Like

I play with a far more positive point than your pic. If it feels and sounds fine, it is fine.

1 Like

What i believe is because my motion is an flexion-extension motion, if my pick point is positive, that puts my wrist in a more extended starting point, so how am I supposed to efficiently extend when I am already extended?

I’ve never thought about pick point (other than when I was trying hard to imitate Morse), because…

This. I mess with several different motions on a regular basis and they all need a little bit of a different pick grip. What I’ve done, sort of subconsciously, is start with a loose-ish hold and do a little controlled tremolo picking. The pick starts to move a little, then at some point it just stops, and this is where it’s perfect. Firm up the grip a little, and done.

This gets back to Steve Morse. To me, his pick point looks awkwardly positive (or is it positively awkward :thinking: )

But it works. The sign pick point is not working is usually garage spikes. Are you experiencing that?

2 Likes

I think so. downstrokes are super smooth, and the upstrokes feel maybe 40% tougher to get through the strings, you can see the string move a decent amount on the upstrokes, but on downstrokes it looks like it isnt moving

Maybe check this out?