Improv in the Key of G

Hello. This is an improvisation in the key of G. I am tuned down to drop C so when I am visualizing the fretboard everything looks like it’s in A. Pretty cool because who doesn’t like to play in A? When I visualize the fretboard in the key of A I like to try to see the white keys and black keys on the guitar. I still use patterns and shapes, but I find that in this key it’s a lot of fun to try and “see” all the white keys. I am only playing over two chords but in a way this feels like it opens things up for a lot of creative possibilities.

There’s definitely a lot of sloppy playing in the video. Sorry about that. I couldn’t think of a specific phrase for a #technique-critique topic so I thought I would make an improvisation video instead. I would definitely appreciate feedback on my technique, but other feedback would be great as well. Feel free to critique any aspect of my playing.

I would like to thank you for your time if you watch my video. I’m sorry if it’s too long and boring.

2 Likes

I think there were a lot of cool ideas in there!

Critique-wise [Disclaimer: all just my opinion :slight_smile: ]:

I would say that this feels a bit like a collection of different licks that are not necessarily connected to each other. This is of course totally cool for an improvised jam for fun. But if you wanted to develop this into a more cohesive piece of music you could try to incorporate more:

• Calls and responses
  • Recognisable themes (or melodies) that undergo repetition and development
  • recognisable sections of the solo with different character: e.g. structure your solo as ABA where A= slower and more melodic/dramatic, B= faster and more aggressive
  • use fewer lick ideas but milk them more (e.g. apply same idea to different chords, scale patterns etc.)

Hope that makes sense / helps to inspire you a bit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay, sweet. I appreciate your reply @tommo. That was really helpful and inspiring. I’ll have to try out some of those ideas. Also, I was wondering if you have any input on my technique is this video. For instance, is there anything you notice that would be good for me to work on? Anything I can do to improve my technique?

1 Like

Hey Calvin! I think your technique is well consolidated at this point and I don’t think any of the motions look “wrong”, so it’s probably just a matter of becoming more familiar / consistent with different types of phrases. For example, you could take different licks from this solo you just played and generate etudes where you have a mix of slow phrases and fast licks.

You can focus on nailing the transitions between slow and fast while retaining tight timing, clean notes, good phrasing and tone. I think at this point, for you, the cleaning up will happen at the level of ear & feel. So recording yourself, listening back critically and “correcting” what you don’t like seems a good way to go.

Of course, as a “hobby” you can still try to experiment with different ways of holding & moving the pick (e.g. Steve Morse grips, gipsy style and so on). You may find that some licks come easier with one motion / pick grip or the other (at least, this is the case for me).
It’s a journey that never ends :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, that is some solid playing well done. However, I do agree with Tommo in the fact that it is a collection of licks and not so much of a coherent solo. We all do this on occasion, and it’s normal. When I improvise, I try to think of it as a conversation similar to talking to a friend: varied phrase lengths, dynamic contour and Leaving space is critical. It allows the listener to appreciate both the expression and emotion as we, as the technical facility.
Again I would like to add this is not in any way a criticism of your playing; I feel your technique and sound are both very good.
Thanks for sharing your playing with the forum.

3 Likes

@tommo

Cool! Those ideas sound excellent. I agree, it is important to be able to transition between slow and fast playing. I’ll have to be mindful of that. Yes that’s so true. Music and guitar technique can definitely be an endless journey.

@Mattsy32

Thank you for taking time to watch my video. Much appreciated. That’s a really good analogy to think of improvisation similar to a conversation. It is a pleasure to be able to share a video with the forum. I think it is essential to be able to share guitar playing with fellow musicians. Thank you for your feedback.

1 Like