In desperate need of direction

Just some general encouragement - great playing and love your video editing and tone! Hope you keep going - you’ll work out what you need to learn I’m sure! Have fun with it!

1 Like

hey @Interestedoz!

Thanks, I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Hi @fenrirokie ,

I wanted to say that I’ve enjoyed the first course very much! Can’t wait to do the next one. There’s only 1 problem though, it’s hard to get my final for week 6 reviewed. I find Coursera on Facebook, but not the exact place where I can post the link to my final, and on their website last final posted was more than a week ago. How long did you have to wait to get your final grade?

Thanks!

Hey there, I was away for 10 days and just got back.

Great it’s making you interested! It can be fun, in a puzzle-like way, to start to work things out on paper. But it can lead to an intellectual, non-musical rabbit hole.

(I see you’re taking a course, so maybe put my thoughts on hold until you get time, or maybe it will help with your course too.)

Given your playing, and implicit knowledge, you might find it more fun and practical to actually work the other way as well, i.e. finding chord progressions on your guitar, and getting a feel for the sound. Then you fit the “theory” on top of that. Sound first, and theory later, b/c the sound is what makes the theory, get me?

e.g., you might say “I’m going to play a I-vi-ii-V in G Major”. (It just so happens that that progression sounds good, but that’s not because theory says so). So, you write out (or think about) the G Major scale, and you know that the triads are:

• I G Major
  • ii A minor
  • iii B minor
  • IV C Major
  • V D Major (or D dominant 7, aka D7)
  • vi E minor
  • vii F# diminished

So, play “G Maj - E min - A min - D7”, and play that chord progression in different places on the neck. You might know the chords in the open position, so see if you can find them in different inversions or locations on the neck. And make it musical! Just strumming quarter note chords is boring, so throw in some rhythms, try to make something out of it.

And don’t try to learn everything at once! Take one concept and work on it for a bit, in a time-limited/time-boxed practice session. This stuff takes a while to sink in and gel. Repetition on small, interesting chunks is key. Ping if you need an example.

Cheers! jz

Don’t let the big words scare you :slight_smile: Find a teacher who speaks your language, if possible.

1 Like

Glad its going well. Can’t remember exactly how the peer-review worked. I think I posted stuff on soundcloud and then provided a link which others could then grade. But my memory is hazy. And then some things are locked if you just audit the course .

1 Like

@Janske1987 - just as an aside - what amp/ effects did you use to get your awesome sound in the VH cover?

1 Like

Hey @Interestedoz ,

This was all done in Helix, I double layered the rythm part but when the solo starts I used a flanger in front of my amp, aswell as a tube screamer with the volume at 9 but Overdrive at 1 and a Phaser. I used the Line 6 Badonk as an amp and from there i hooked up a Delay and a reverb. Also, for my cab I used some self made Impulse Responses mixed with existing ones within helix.

Thanks!

1 Like