In the studio: Olli Soikkelli

Do you like blazing bop lines with a gypsy flavor? Or blazing gypsy jazz with a bop flavor? Then you will like Olli Soikkelli. He’s Finnish, but lives here in NYC, so we called him up. He’s stopping by tomorrow!

Olli’s style has shades of what Django became in his later years, which I personally think was pretty cool even though it was more bop then the style he pioneered and is known for. Either way you slice it, Olli’s technical chops and harmony knowledge are fire:

…and:

I think what we’re going to see here is a crosspicking technique similar to Martin Miller but more arm / wrist than fingers. That’s my guess anyway. Looking forward to it!

Anything you’d like to know about him, let us know here and we’ll ask him!

7 Likes

Great news! Looking forward! Live event or future MofM interview release?

We’re going to film it. We keep tearing down the cameras and lights to get on planes and film other people! So we’re still kind of only halfway set up again for regular live stuff.

1 Like

Man this guys smokes

Looking forward to it!

Interesting how much movement he has in his left hand, while still making it all work out and sound great.

Hadn’t heard of him before so I checked out a bunch of vids and now I’m pretty psyched :grin: