Index Anchoring for Fretting Hand

Hello guys,

I’m sorry I can’t find a proper answer to that question over the internet :stuck_out_tongue:

I will try to explained clearly my question but I’m not a native english speaker and this not a simple thing to explain …

My teacher told me that I should anchored my index finger when ascending a chromatic scale (and obviously in every scale).
So basically when you are fretting the 8-7-6-5 etc …
Right now I’m lifting the index finger as soon as I reach the next note (so the 8 on the upper string) with my pinky but apparently I should keep the index anchored (and thus fretting the 5) until I have to play the 5 on the upper string.

I’m completely ok to learn that if this is the proper way of building speed but in a lot of video over the internet I think people doesn’t really play like that …
So I’m a bit confused.

Do you guys have an idea about what is the proper technique ?

Thanks in advance !

Personal preference I think and depends on the line, but I don’t do that; I would lift my index finger.

1 Like

Proper is whatever feels the most comfortable to you, while still being able to mute adjacent strings if/when you need to. Wether that’s first finger anchored or not is really up to your judgement. Ain’t no rules in Rock and roll.

That said, there are certain stylistic teachings that may be more strict on playing form and technique as a matter of tradition - a classical performer perhaps, but I’m not sure if we are talking about that here.