Inside picking and Crosspicking

Hey guys,

I’ve been working on this basic cross-picking motion that I play in the beginning for the scale, but I cannot get that motion to work for 1nps arpeggios or 1nps lines. I can use it for 3nps scales and CAGED scales, but anything that involves an inside picking sequence, especially with a string skip, causes me some problems. Things like a triad roll playing Root - third - fifth - Root - third - fifth across three strings is possible, but it cannot get very fast. The diminished arp from the class prison sequence does not feel attainable through this, or the mike stern arp sequence. Any comments or ideas for a new movement would be appreciated. I have looked into copying Martin Miller’s motions, but that task will take a very long time. I think inside picking practice in general might be able to solve my problem, but I wanted to make sure my movements were on the right track.

2 Likes

You have a good foundation. And I am glad to see other’s who use a similar picking method for 3NPS that they use for 1NPS. I think the two can sorta go hand-in-hand.

However… you’ve run into something that I ran into… which is that there needs to be more articulation on the 1NPS than the 3NPS picking. And basically you want to escape more, and for a longer period on the 1NPS stroke. While it is possible to use the exact same mechanic for both… there is a trade-off between accuracy and speed.

So I have made a point to articulate more now on the 1NPS runs. And for me… I’ve decided to focus a bit more on the fingers. However, I’ve been a finger picker forever… so it’s an easy adjustment, but for many others who don’t use the fingers, that may be tough. Say you may want to look at articulating your other mechanics more. Maybe just try to over-exaggerate your existing form, or over-exaggerate a specific movement. But I think you will find better fluidity and reliability once you escape a bit more.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll look into that.

Congrats, that sounds great! And I feel the same way, the rolls are a lot harder than scalar stuff.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. What exactly do you mean by “more articulation”?

It’s just a fancy way of saying… doing your existing mechanics, but extend/flex one or more of them a bit more. Or basically just figure out a way to clear the strings a bit more.