Inside string changes and two-way pickslanting

Hey guys I’m new here . I’m having a problem with inside changes in the two way pickslanting technique when cycling between two strings . The outside ones came fairly easy to me, there is a video above of me playing almost one week after watching cracking the code videos I was economy picking before that for the fast stuff. But when you have to cycle between two strings there is no other way but to alternate pick them. I’ve noticed that at fast speeds i start to lock my forearm and I think i start to swipe the outside pattern , can’t do that on the inside stuff but what bothers me is that I can`t even reach half the tempo on the inside changes it feels so unnatural and I get tired very quickly and the precision is not there i start to hit other strings.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome :wave:

First of all, who is that beauty you are stroking and fingering? :eyes: I totally love that countour thing (don’t know how to call it) :heart_eyes:

As for the subject matter: I’m not experienced enough to give advice. However, I happen to play a lot of consecutive inside changes.
Personally (it’s not advice) I use mainly forearm rotation with a bit of wrist extension on downstrokes. I probably do some kind of slight wrist movement after the downstroke to bring it back to the “default position”.

Anyway, I’m sure somebody more competent will share some insights. I just wanted to comment on your guitar :blush:

1 Like

Thanks man Its a 7 string Ibanez:

I come from a metal and prog background first thank you for your insights, some of the riffs we do are one note per string stuff and include also string skipping so I’ve mostly been a crosspicker not a very efficient one cause there was some string hopping here and there , but it is a mechanic that is stuck in my muscle memory, I crosspick 2 notes per string licks that could be done using only one way pickslanting. The controlled 2 way pickslanting movements are still somewhat new to me . here`s another video of me where you can see what I’m talking about:

4 Likes

Hi and welcome!

I see some great palying there! :slightly_smiling_face:

So first of all I can’t see anything wrong in the videos you posted, I’m pretty sure you swipe certain string changes,as you mentioned yourself, but there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s well muted and to me it’s not noticable unless you’re not looking for it.

So for the inside changes (handle with scare your skills seem to be be way above mine).
Swiping is probably the problem there, inside string changes are not swipable and the feeling you describe matches exactly stringhopping, so I’d say it’s pretty sure you stringhop the inside changes to avoid unwanted notes.
I’m struggling with that too, beside workarounds (hammerrnons, pulloffs, refingering etc.) the only way to get that clean is getting TWPS nailed.
Unfortunately I’ve no magic tip how to do that. Iwas playing around a little with practicing them on 2 strings playing 1nps, which was of little help, to me it feels just different to integrate them into scales.
To me it seems to be best to isolate small patterns with maybe 5 or 6 notes to practice it in context.
On the other hand i cannot tell I’ve great succes with that so far :joy:

When you’re lucky Troy has soem good advice, I’d psot another vid with another angle, so he can have a closer look on your picking hand.

Nice playing anyways!

2 Likes

Thank you :smiley: the first video i posted the one from instagram has only outside string changes played fast where the swiping occurs i think in the first lick when I cycle between the strings. Then the second lick it’s only one way pickslanting descending 6’s that i have no problem at all and some sweeps . The second youtube video holds here and there some two way pickslanting inside changes and crosspicking also. The thing i find strange and funny at the same time is that when i have just a short inside change where i have to use two-way pickslanting I can manage it , but when I start to cycle the same notes ore move around like in the vinnie more pepsi lick it’s where the fatigue and inaccuracy starts to kick in it’s like I lose balance. i’ll post a better video in the days to come :smiley:

1 Like

I think that’s nothing uncommon, Troy mentioned a couple of times that many TWPS’ers are not too good in cyclin it around. They tend to slant in one direction and can turnaround for a single stroke, so you’re not alone with that.
Another thing I noticed in my own playing is, that even if inside changes are not swipable they still can be muted, at high speeds that can still sound pretty accurate, especially when the stroke on the way back is slight.
They are passages where I don’t even notice that. But in the end there’s always patterns that let it fall apart, with accents on the wrong note or if you want legato sound and need the string to ring as long as possible.

Anyway it’s worth working on it, even if you can’t get rid of the double touch entirely, still your options to hide it increase.

2 Likes

@DarioMeci : great playing!

Concerning cycling inside string change it is something I do with some rolls (1nps) patterns. It’s a bit hard to do cleanly and as far as I’m concerned there’s 3 variations to consider : 1/ with no accent (i.e. both strings should be played the same), 2/ with accent on the upper string and 3/ (more rarely) with accent on the lower string. Variations 2/ and 3/ can even (ideally for me) have a swing feel to it (and actually it’s the purpose of accent). It’s hard to figure out what I’m doing for this, and it can get inconsistent at high speed (I mean high for 1nps crosspicking which would be >16th @120 bpm). But it feels more like ‘whipping’ the string, especially if accentuating the strike. I believe I keep the pick slant more or less the same for both strings - but I’m not sure.

Again, this is for 1np patterns type of thing. Like @theGuyFromGermany it feels to me very different in the context of a scale (and I kind of suck at inside string change for scale …)

1 Like

I don’t know if this can be helpful at all, but sometimes I find it easier to work on these things by

• changinge the timing / accents (e.g. play 16th notes instead of 16th-note triplets, so that the accents move around)
  • practicing inside picking patterns that start with an upstroke instead of a downstroke or viceversa (it’s like tricking your brain into thinking you are doing something different to get rid of old habits).

I posted a video here with some examples of this some time ago, I’ll see if I can link it so it may become clearer what I mean.

That being said, great playing, I’m not sure I’m in a position to teach you anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and that is an incredible looking guitar! <3

I’m jealous!

3 Likes

If you do that consecutively that is cross picking as you are continuously making curved pick strokes

1 Like

dude
this stuff sounds fantastic