Interesting "Bleed"-like single-string picking challenge from "Tenet" film score

Saw the movie the other day and this caught my attention so I wanted to transcribe it:

16th notes at 116bpm with the occasional 32nd note isn’t insane, I know, but the rhythmic placement of those 32nd notes present some challenges.

Curious, if we took out the pitch shifting and decided it would all be picked, all on one string, would you play it more like this, A:

or this, B?

or maybe the “Popeye” method, C? (lol)

or some other approach?
Edit: Might be a an interesting place for Tosin’s “thumping” thing, or some left hand hammers for some of the notes.

Re: pitches, I think on guitar we could probably reproduce the pitch shifting effect by playing a detuned string at a fretted F# note, and bending it to match the pitches.

It’s interesting how it’s so much like Meshuggah’s “Bleed” which is mostly basically just this figure repeating, with some bending of that note:

also at about 115BPM

I think the Tenet thing is actually harder because the pattern is longer and becomes less like a physical gesture.

Just thought it was kind of neat - the kind of picking challenge we wind up exploring a lot less often.

No specific agenda or goal of this post, so, am open to any comments.

3 Likes

Huh, this is interesting. I haven’t seen this yet - I really need to - but I’ve heard that theme before and hadn’t made that connection.

Since this is pretty open ended anyway, I have a question for anyone who plays drums, who knows this peice. I know Tomas Haake basically spent a month straight woodshedding to pull off the beat Fredrik Thorendal had programmed for the demo and it’s supposed to be damned near impossible, and since a lot of it is pretty straightforward, it’s gotta be the double bass figure. And aside from the tempo, I’ve always been curious what makes this so tough. My uninformed guess is that I assume a drummer playing double bass tends to have a “dominant” foot and uses the other foot to accent that one, and the shifting nature of the pattern has you jumping back and forth between feet… but that’s a wild, uninformed guess, and I’ve always wondered.

1 Like

Funny you should post something like this, been getting really into displacement for metal rhythm lately.

Option A is the way to go. B and C are mechanically unstable. B is wrong because notes 3/4/5 of measure 1 forces a reverse gallop rhythm. Your arm will tense up and be completely out of time. This will throw the timing of the entire rest of the piece. it doesn’t work at all.

C is also incorrect. There’s a hyper-nuanced reason for this but suffice it to say downstrokes have their place and in metal rhythms like this with 16th notes and 32nd notes, it’s just mechanically unstable and flat-out wrong.

Interesting! Well let’s explore this just a little:

B is wrong…C is also incorrect

Well, good to establish, there can’t really be a right or wrong way to do this. Only more efficient/practical/etc or less efficient/practical etc. Eg I could play it with my nose and with enough practice maybe increase tempo, but would be a lot of effort and the tone would stink. (sorry)

I take from context you mean “B and C are much less practical than A, in my experience, from my own personal point of view, based on the information I currently have and acknowledging that my thirst for knowledge continues in this big crazy world where there are so few absolutes, and viewpoints, opinions, conclusions can change” (forgive me, I’m 74% procrastinating here)

Your arm will tense up and be completely out of time.

I don’t see any reason it would be more out of time, or more tense, than the others. In fact, since the downstroke is on every quarter note downbeat, and the 32nd/32nd/16th figure is always with down, up, down, I find it easier to play it in time, and my body is less familiar with doing that figure as up, down, up, then following it with more 16th notes as is done in A.

All my cheekiness from earlier aside; down vs up isn’t what makes something in time vs out of time, individuals may have training and experience associating some movements with some rhythms, but we don’t have data beyond some very rough generalizations and personal experiences.

Re: C:

There’s a hyper-nuanced reason for this…it’s just mechanically unstable

I’m interested in the hyper nuanced reason! Obviously this is all very tempo relative. At a much slower tempo, doing C is not problematic at all. So even if we accept that doing C at 116BPM is not possible for basically any guitar player, there would obviously be some things that happen between say 50BPM and 116BPM…with probably most people able to do it at 50BPM and a gradual drop off. So what do you think happens?

I’m not trolling, just a stickler for the issues about absolutes, but anyway, definitely interested in where you’re coming from. This type of picking is definitely not something I have much experience or comfort with.

I’m glad someone else noticed! I loved the movie and have seen it at least a half dozen times, and every time I hear that part I thought it was the Bleed pattern. I played along with it once while watching it but didn’t think much of it, or that other people would notice. This made my day!

Edit:
@JakeEstner I noticed you didn’t tab what I would actually do / I think most people do, and I incorrectly assumed it was option C (which is why I was surprised @guitarenthusiast didn’t agree).

If I’m warm enough I can do your option C (all downstrokes), but for endurance and counting purposes, I would recommend what I’m adding, option D: alternate between the 32nd notes and 16th notes always starting on a downstroke. Your option A and B both have the 16th notes starting with an upstroke which I find harder to count and play.

1 Like

Hmm - not sure exactly which strokes you mean here. Could you write it out?

@JBakerman - interesting! why?

1. Uses D-U-D for all 32-32-16 groups.

2. Avoids a downstroke on any 16th just before/after a 32-32-16 group. This tends to be a speed limiter and make things like this more tiring IME.

Of the examples you posted I’d go with “A”, but would need to work on making 32-32-16 as precise with U-D-U. Right now it’s ending up more like a 16th triplet some of the time.

1 Like

I’m attempting this on drums at the moment.

Apparently Haake wrote this originally and at one point thought he’d never be able to play it so offered it to Gene Hoglan (Not got the source for this to hand but there are a few interviews on Youtube with Haake). I think somewhere he said it took him as long to learn Bleed as it did all the other songs on Obzen.

There are a couple of covers on Youtube who do it the “swapping the lead foot” way, but if you watch a drum cam of Haake he keeps his left (lead) foot constant and then adds in the “blips” with the right foot.

That’s the way I’m doing it, only I lead with my right.

The difficulty isn’t so much playing the basic pattern as it is playing that while maintaining 4/4 on the hat/cymbal with a snare on 3*.

The next issue is that the “basic pattern” only makes up a relatively small portion of the song, as there are more complicated variants.

This guy gives a great analysis:

I’ve been at it for 3 or 4 weeks and I would say I’ve got the first 2 sections down (basic riff and first variation) and then about 50% of the next bit.

But after that it gets even harder as it goes about 30 bars without there being any repeat you can latch on to where the drums and everything else start a bar together so I need to come up with a different approach to memorising it (looks like it’s going to have to just be brute force/rote memorisation).

1 Like

This is slightly compositionally different from the Bleed ostinati. In Bleed, every phrase is based upon an odd number polymeter comprised of two 32nd notes + an even number of 16th notes – this ensures that every time the 32nd-note gallop occurs, the phrase begins on a downstroke, because there is always an even amount of pick strokes. For example, the main ostinato is based a polymeter of 3 and uses 4 pick strokes (32 32 16 16 16), but later in the post-chorus section uses a (7 + 7 + 5 + 3 + 5) repeating pattern. Maybe this is kind of obvious but I think it’s something people miss when analysing Bleed, I think that the patterns were likely composed by rhythmically expanding the 3 beat polymeter whilst always making sure the pattern starts on a downstroke every time.

The tenet excerpt you posted uses a (10 + 8 + 6) phasing pattern, which means that every 32nd note gallop is going to start on an alternating pick stroke from the last - I think this technical detail combined with the tempo means that it is actually a lot mechanically harder
on guitar than some of the patterns in Bleed. Imo every option you posted is probably playable (by someone at least), but its a matter of personal taste and articulation - downpicking the pattern makes it sound a lot more thrash metal (Gojira do this in ‘esoteric surgery’)

1 Like

Haake plays it RLR L RLR L etc. (I’m not sure if that’s what you meant as I haven’t noticed any covers with a different footing. In any case, that’s how Haake plays it.)

Yeah I’ve just watched the video again and if you watch the beaters he does seem to be alternating.

I’d looked at the movement of his legs rather than the beaters in coming to my original conclusion.

Thank you for being open minded. My experience on guitar forums throughout the years - at least with arguments - is generally people disagreeing at the outset and then I click their profile and they either suck shit or have no meaningful videos of their own playing. It’s very rarely “I’ll hear you out” as a response. This is refreshing.

You presented 3 options for a rhythmic pattern. We have now have 5-ish in this thread. Pepe’s and Bakerman transcriber guy added to the list. Both are unstable at high speeds.

If you want a fully detailed explanation of why Option A is the most objectively stable pattern here I can PM it to you, but just understand I don’t have the inclination to do huge back-and-forths on this forum. It’s exhausting when the answer is blindingly obvious (which is the case here). It would be like a mathematician trying to argue on a forum with people who think 1 + 1 = 5, typing it out in painstaking detail, and either no one responds, or, even worse, they start arguing with you.

The tl;dr version is that all 4 other solutions involve extraneous motions in the picking patterns that, when added up, result in the creation of undesirable rhythms and tension. These movements result in sound quality degradation and an instantaneous speed cap.

Anyways I asked 3 friends last night how they would play it.

Friend 1 is a world-class metal guitarist formerly signed to a major label and he appeared on “Best Metal Guitarist” lists with John Petrucci, Tosin Abasi, etc. Toured with Jason Richardson, Periphery, guys in Born of Osiris, etc. He said “Option A no question”

Friend 2 is a guy who shared the stage with Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc. “I would do Option A but C can be useful for tone if you accept it is inefficient”

Friend 3 is a certain Russian virtuoso. He hasn’t responded yet but I already know what he will say.

Listen to people who know better than you. It saves you time. It’s Option A for maximum efficiency and relaxation.

To be clear, I don’t even disagree that A is best; I actually have no real belief/position at this point. I just threw up three picking approaches that came to mind. My gripe was with the ‘wrong/right’ distinction without support.

Listen to people who know better than you. It saves you time

Saves time for what? I specified that I was procrastinating. Saving time seems antithetical to the real goal here. Ok but seriously, to be more clear:

(1) I’m interested in the discussion of mechanics and the pros/cons of different approaches, as well as just generally understanding variables at play. I’m not actually that interested or invested in playing the thing. Like, that’s cool, but not that useful for anything in my own playing/career/life. So this post was just “hey this thing is neat, any thoughts about it?” and that’s pretty much it.

(2) Even if I agreed with your basic principle here - ‘listen to people who know better than me’ - I have to, for myself, make the determination of who fits in to that category. No offense intended, you’re a complete and total stranger (or maybe we have interacted somewhere else on the internet? apologies if we have) so the quote doesn’t really apply here.

just understand I don’t have the inclination to do huge back-and-forths on this forum. It’s exhausting when the answer is blindingly obvious (which is the case here). It would be like a mathematician trying to argue on a forum with people who think 1 + 1 = 5, typing it out in painstaking detail, and either no one responds, or, even worse, they start arguing with you.

If there’s a point that you don’t feel like taking the time to get into, that’s fine, but you gotta understand that it’d be foolish of anybody to just take your word for it or agree that it’s ‘obvious’ just because it seems obvious to you. I mean, if there’s some satisfaction you get from hopping into a chat and going “I’m RIGHT!” then bouncing, then by all means, get your kicks, but you know, there are like, people here who come with the explicit purposes of discussing/learning/hashing out their ideas, etc., so I think it’d be expected that someone would ask “well, wait, why?” Without support or evidence or reasoning, I basically interpret your post as “my vote is A, that seems easiest to me” and that’s it.

You presented 3 options for a rhythmic pattern. We have now have 5-ish in this thread. Pepe’s and Bakerman transcriber guy added to the list. Both are unstable at high speeds.

If you want a fully detailed explanation of why Option A is the most objectively stable pattern here I can PM it to you

I mean, I’m interested enough to the level that I casually started this thread on my lunch break because I thought the figure was interesting. If you have reasons for preferring one picking approach vs another I’m absolutely interested! I’m certainly not dogmatic about the best way to pick some 6 second figure from a movie soundtrack.

As of now from my point of view you’ve just taken this super firm position, I poked a little fun at you for having the firm non-subjective position but not supporting it with anything substantial (again, really mostly me procrastinating work I’m putting off, and not anything personal…I just get a little goofy staring at my computer all day every day.) Now we’ve sort of gotten into some “discussion about discussing” which honestly I find more interesting than the actual picking issue. I really wish you no further aggravation here, so if you want to chat picking approaches either here or PM and that’s a valuable enriching thing for you, please do, but if it’s a negative experience, my casual interest in picking approaches for this figure definitely aren’t worth ruining someone’s morning. I very much meant for this to be like a “hey, this is kinda neat, whatdya think?” type of thread and not a heated debate over the fate of the picking universe or anything like that.

The tl;dr version is that all 4 other solutions involve extraneous motions in the picking patterns that, when added up, result in the creation of undesirable rhythms and tension. These movements result in sound quality degradation and an instantaneous speed cap.

Right, but obvously we’re looking for a method that, relative to the other options, produces less tension, has fewer obstacles towards producing the correct rhythm, and has a higher speed cap. So, and again I apologize if this is aggravating, but this to me is akin to saying “it’s best because it’s best.”

Friend 1 is a world-class metal guitarist formerly signed to a major label and he appeared on “Best Metal Guitarist” lists with John Petrucci, Tosin Abasi, etc. Toured with Jason Richardson, Periphery, guys in Born of Osiris, etc. He said “Option A no question”

Friend 2 is a guy who shared the stage with Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc. “I would do Option A but C can be useful for tone if you accept it is inefficient”

Cool! That’s interesting. It doesn’t negate any of the above, but I will take it as a couple more votes for option A.

Listen to people who know better than you

Another obnoxious point of clarity from me: the most eye opening thing about CTC for me has been seeing that often great players really do not know why what they are doing works, and might not even always be doing what they think they’re doing. For example, the clips with Jimmy Bruno where he was saying the it was the string pushing the pick slant around, while the slow mo clip clearly showed JB preparing some the slants before the string was hit. JB is a masterful technician among other things, but his assessment of what was going on in his own technique was incorrect. Hopefully where I’m going with this is obvious…

1 Like

Sorry for the tangential question, but do Meshuggah actually play 32nd notes at 115bpm in the little 3-note bursts? It does not sound as fast to me, e.g. here:

Could it be that the little fast bits are somewhere in between 6-tuplets and 32nd, but not “metronomically exact”?

EDIT: yes, I know, “put it in the DAW” and all :slight_smile:

Here is a more detailed answer:

Producing the fastest possible guitar playing hinges on reducing as many movements of the human body as is possible before, during, and after the note cycle and ensuring that the movements that are selected are as continuously relaxed and as tension-free as possible.

Downstroke primer:

SIngular downstroke = one motion. You strike the note, put down the guitar, and go to the Cracking the Code forum to have an argument, or whatever.

Successive downstrokes = composite movement of initial note strike and string changing involving a motion that when properly performed is similar (but not identical) to inside string changing. Ever wonder why people complain about downstrokes or not really liking them? That’s your reason - in part. It is an advanced COMPOSITE movement at high speeds. At low speeds it can be performed poorly, with unstable technique such as thumb movement or elbow tension and consequential swiping. It is just as difficult at high speeds as practicing bouncing between two strings. Ever wonder how Paul Gilbert does some of his string-skipping licks? It’s downpicking (in some instances) matched with left-hand legato to force rests between movement patterns to in order buy his right hand more time to clear the strings at high speed, where they would otherwise tense and be crippled for trying to match the unrealistic demands imposed by the meter in-between notes.

Every two consecutive downstrokes - in any genre, scenario, whatever - is a string skipping motion.

Average guitar player who plays a C chord twice in a row with a super tense elbow movement? He’s string-skipping. Tah-dah.

Which brings me to the next point.

Ready?

You sure?

I’m about to the drop the hammer here.

This is the point of no return [redacted: removed to be nicer lmao]

In the patterns you have notated except for Option A, you are asking your hand to perform at high speeds what the body recognizes as BOTH A STROKE AND STRING SKIP when a SINGULAR UPSTROKE (ONE MOVEMENT, NO SKIP) would produce the desired result and enable you to pass the string far more quickly, in time, with no “chewing” of the string, and no extraneous tension.

The brain constantly analyzes movement pattern information that it is given and throws an “error” much like a computer program when it recognizes that it has other available movement patterns that would be more appropriate for the phrase in question. It doesn’t care what you want to do, it cares *what information you have given it and informs your playing experience based on the intelligent or non-intelligent selection of pickstrokes and fingerings. Poor selection = tense, shitty playing with dogshit sound quality. Intelligent selection = great, stable technique.

Which is why my solution is correct and is the only solution that matches your criteria below:

If the above can still be regarded as saying “It is the best because it is the best.”, I have literally no clue how to answer you.

likely it’s not metronomically exact but they also play it exactly the same every time from every video of seen (plus seeing them live a couple of times). Given the nature of the band being… about the nature of time both mechanically and thematically, I don’t really think it’s within their style to play that much off the beat. Also they’re both really stoned in this interview lol.

1 Like

Yah, it’s 115! Both in that clip, and the original recording. I did a tap tempo on both just to check, I get 114-116 on both.

• It’s a little harder to count/feel without the drums
  • Easier to ‘check’ it at half speed. Listen to that clip at half speed, then listen to this midi:
    basic bleed rhythm midi half speed
    normal speed
  • For whatever it’s worth, it’s a polypulse kind of thing, so the “1” is hidden (sorry if that’s obvious, just factoring it in)
    -I guess the math works out that if we heard it as triplets like this: image then it’d be 77?

Oh yes sorry I explained myself badly!

What I meant is: are these really 32nd notes? Or are they a different subdivision?

I have no idea what that means :smiley:

Edit: Oh I think I get it now: the accents don’t fall in the obvious places!