Interesting drummer wrist/finger technique: what can we guitarists learn?

Thought you might like to see this:

it’s interesting watching his wrists and forearms, wondering how this may be similar to some guitarists’ techniques (I went to a part of the video where the reviewer attempts to analyze his movements, but the whole video is pretty interesting)

4 Likes

From what I’ve learned this is more nervous system excitability, than technique.
Whats intresting is he has both hands twitching fast, I personally have greater speed with my right than left. Though after some stimulants, my hands can do very similar fast repetitive motions like this. I made a thread about Jason Becker few years ago wondering if his nervous system was highly excitable and perhaps what caused neurotransmitter toxicity from consistent repetitive and fast use.

When neurons get stimutated to much they die as far as I’m aware.
Though I’m not saying this will happen to this guy, more it’s an intresting avenue to look into.
We all experience this as we get older, our nervous system slows down and we can’t react, feel, move etc as fast.

This guys speed is impressive, I used to do same thing button mashing in various video games, I can only do it right hand tho, makes me think I should switch to playing guitar to lefty.

I played drums for many many years, this is quite incredible. How sustainable it is is any bodies guess.

1 Like

This is something I’ve been interested in for a while is if it’s possible to train such rapid movements. Dispite all my efforts, I’m still unsure, I am left handed yet can do this with my right. And I have a strong suspicion it’s due to a life time of right handed self love lol

I honestly think there might be something in that, tho It’s an akward thing to ask people, what hand can you vibrate faster, left or right? And what hand do you enjoy yourself with?

Isometric exercise is one of the fasted builders of strength, and that is the type of excersice that can produce this fast twitch movement. Maybe this guy is a double hander…

I do believe Malmsteen has a twitch picking style these days when he’s on one string. Hardly see his hand move! I guess this is a very thing, for a whe I could do it, but I messed up my string tracking so I gave it up for now. Maybe I should experiment more with it.