Introduction, My name is Ren

Hello,

I have been playing since High School, never very focused. Could not figure out CSNY at the time( did not know about alternate tunings). If only Youtube existed then, I am 62. In my thirties I finally got a good teacher named Matt Smith. He really opened my eye to the possibilities on guitar. I got into acoustic blues and fingerstyle, studied with Martin Simpson for a bit and really got into that style of finger style, alternate tuning. In my early fourties I walked into an Irish Bar in Newport Beach and there was a big Irish trad session going on. Was hooked on trad from then on.
Currently I play trad Irish, Scot, Qebecois, etc and some Contra. Mostly rhythm , as I could never pick fast enough. I play in local bands and for Contra.
I need work in developing faster, fresher strumming technique. Would love to get some picking up to tempo. I play guitar in dropped D, and bouzouki. I tend to get tired due to bad technique, and had some tendonitis issues while trying to force my speed.Really excited to discover Cracking the Code. I think I was stuck by string hopping. Lots of Reels and Jigs Tempos of 140 to north of 200 when fiddlers are really cooking. I am not there yet but have hope.
Eileen Ivers & John Doyle | Tír na n-Óg, Midtown Manhattan, NY | Geantraí 2003 | TG4 - YouTube this is a link to my guitar inspiration, John Doyle.

2 Likes

You’ll find plenty of inspiration here! CTC a great place to rediscover your love of guitar.

2 Likes