Is it possible to play this whole run with just upward pick-slanting?

Hi all! So I’m brand new to the world of CtC. I’ve watched some YouTube videos from Troy and others, and I’ve been trying to implement what I’ve seen. I’ve found that upward pick-slanting feels very natural to me, much more than downward pick-slanting does. I know it’s important to learn both and to be able to switch between them, but I’d really like to make some progress with upward pick-slanting to be able to build a stronger foundation and some confidence that this change in technique is worth the effort first. My main focus right now is this D major run I wrote in a solo some months ago. It seems to me as if I would have to switch between upward and downward pick-slanting to play it all – except for the last half or so, which I can do efficiently with just upward pick-slanting. Am I wrong? Is it possible to play it all just upward pick-slanting? I’m fine revising the note positions to make it work, if that makes a difference.

I wouldn’t focus too much on trying to get both “slants” right. Just Refining the one that works best for you might give you the best return of investment for your practice time.

About that run, there are some string changes that might require to perform sporadic “slant changes” a la Vinnie Moore or my preferred method of adding a hammer on or pull off here and there to keep the escape of the picked notes consistent. Purists might consider this cheating but if Yngwie can get away with it, you and I should be fine too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

I am not familiar with that run but I would arrange it like this with a downstroke escape (which I suppose is the upward pick slant you are referring to):

1 Like

Welcome! Note that you are using the old terminology that should be avoided, there is (in my mind) USX and DSX: You are either free/escaped on the U, or on the D. (Also DBX and being able to switch back-and-forth between USX and DSX.) So, your question is wonderful, and it almost makes me think of the Troy Grady version of Sudoku, where I might write your puzzle down like this:

??-??-?-??????-?-?-??????-????????????-?

So with USX, D = down and ends up trapped, U = up and ends up free, S = swipes up and ends up free, and H is a hammer-on. So, can we replace the question marks? One possible way would be like this:

??-??-D-D????D-D-S-??????-????????????-?

And then you can fill in some obvious notes,

DU-DU-D-DUDUTD-D-S-DUDUDU-DUDUDUDUDUDU-D

Now I’m not sure if you meant USX or DSX, but basically I think that there are some trivial areas where there are pairs of notes on the same string, and then some areas worthy of careful thought, particularly if there is just one note. It is a common trick to simplify odd numbers o notes per string with a single tap somewhere in there… anyway, hopefully this helps more than it hurts, and I’m sure that other people will have some really elegant solutions.