Is Masters In Mechanics Worth It?

Hey guys, I finally upgraded MIM. I’m sure most of you are subscribers already. But I wanted to say to the people that have never subscribed that IT IS definitely worth it. I had access to Teemu and the Pickslanting Primer. But for some reason, there was STILL a uncertainty to me of how “in depth” the rest of the material on this site would get. And, I’m on a musician budget so I kept putting it off.

I’ve been playing guitar a very long time. So there was also the question of “how much of this stuff do I already know?” “Do I even need to subscribe?”

Even if you already know, and use, most of the techniques talked about on here, it’s a huge confidence booster to see FOR SURE, IN DETAIL, that what you already know is how it’s done, and used by these top players. Most of the interviews are entertaining also.

I could have saved a lot of Forum question stress by just subscribing to begin with. The MIM material on here is pretty damn amazing. It answered and confirmed all of my questions on advanced playing technique and mechanics.

:bear::+1:

19 Likes

Thanks Hank, much appreciated! :100:

3 Likes

Seconded. There’s a good portion of our collective lives on this web site, in terms of man-hours. I almost don’t even want to think about it!

5 Likes

Yeah guys, the site is pretty damn amazing. All of the interview examples are soundslice tabbed in sync with the clips. You can slow the stuff down, etc, I mean, you are doing everything but plucking the strings for people.

I edit audio and video, so I see the work/time that you guys have put in. It’s pretty ridiculous. That’s why I had to say something. Very impressive.

Hey @Brendan :bear::+1::100:

2 Likes

:smiley:

3 Likes

I agree 100%. The amount of information you’ll have access to as a subscriber is phenomenal and absolutely worth every cent.

Edit: Also I should have added that not only is there a huge amount of information for subscribers but much of it is also unique, as nowhere else is this sort of camera footage and in-depth analysis avaliable for picking mechanics.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yup, I’ll chime in too. The material you guys have put here is staggering.
I’ve been a member here for a month and I’ve learned a ton already. The other members are generous with their time and knowledge. This is absolutely, hands down the definitive place for all things picking!!!

3 Likes

First I laughed. Then the terror set in. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MIM is definitely worth it. What surprises me the most, especially now the forum is here, is how much the MIM content is now reference material that I access constantly. For example, in a recent post that I made I was having trouble with playing on the bass strings. Not only was I supported by a fellow forum member who gave me correct feedback, but Troy was also able to give a link to the exact excerpt in the MIM interview with Teemu, which demonstrated the way that he approaches string tracking. Its all very inspirational.

4 Likes

So, I used up my free-trial for MIM and I have to say that it was really cool! :+1:

One surprising angle was the interviews with three scientists about practicing music. These were great!

I thought that perhaps after watching Troy’s YouTube channel and participating in this forum there won’t be much value of MIM but I was totally wrong. And I can second to everything that is written in the first post of this thread.

By the way, I think that free-trial was a great move :+1: I’m sure there are more people who aren’t sure what exactly is in MIM, do they need it, it is worth the price, etc. Free-trial answered all these questions and gave me some cool knowledge.

2 Likes

I used the free trial last week too and am now on the monthly subscription.

I often find that I can put in literally 100’s of hours working on a piece to try and get it exactly right. I did it with some Jerry Reed transcriptions, some Satriani, Robben Ford and Helicasters. At the end of that time I can play it beautifully. However, if come back to it a few days later I literally can’t remember the first note :frowning: I have to completely relearn everything each time I want to play it. Putting a new band together doing Steely Dan stuff just now and I learn a tune then have to learn it again the next night. Talk about a downer. I seriously need to work on my “learning” and memorization as a matter of priority!

The “three scientists” was the main reason I wanted to check out the trial. I have now also subscribed to the Bulletproof musician newsletter and bought Making Stick about the science of learning.

Now if I could also get my TWPS working I would be a happy chappy.

2 Likes