Is pick-slanting always needed?

Hi guys, i thought this would be the greatest place to ask, i have been for some time trying to get faster and better with picking but I feel limited sometimes with the slanting. it has done me great but I was a bit in doubt when i see other players who are even faster than people like Michael Angelo Batio who don’t seem to use it. I am frustrated because i am trying to learn songs that when speed hold me back.

I am learning all songs from the ‘Heavy Balance’ record by guitarist Tramaine who in his videos does not seem to use this technique and plays very very fast. even up to 220 bpm, and it is hard when even after weeks of no progress, am i doing something wrong? I hope people will be able to help, thank you and I hope my english is ok!

welcome aboard!

first off, I glanced at some of Tramaines playing. If you are trying to play his album then u must be pretty good already lol

I keep seeing this thing where people think “slanting” has something to do with speed. AFAIK it doesnt lol. “Slanting” is just a way to help with smoothly changing strings. for example if u had a guitar with only one string you could play superfast and pickslanting wouldnt even come into play

Never heard of Tramaine but I glanced at one of his vids. Just going by his hand position id say he is probably a dwps guy. Why dont you go on one of his vids and ask him if he is familiar with Troy Gradys work and ask him if he pickslants?

Then again maybe he economy picks? A guy like Yngwie uses dwps and to make it work he uses economy picking when ascending and he throws in some pulloffs at strategic points when descending

there doesnt need to be a huge amount of slant for it to work. All the pick needs to do is clear the next string on string changes

can u play fast on one string? Maybe try to find whatever picking method allows you to play fast and smooth on one string then look at that method and decide whether dwps or uwps will fit with it better etc.

I like 2 way pickslanting so I pretty much try to keep the pick neutral, so if u watched me play maybe it wouldnt be too obvious that I was slanting at all

Peace, JJ

Thank you for your quick reply! Yes I am not too bad, but all of his quick alternate picking licks I can never do, but I now have more understanding of what this technique is used for so I am very grateful!

I think I will ask now as I was not sure if I would get a response but he seems good with replying. I feel more like there is a wall I cannot get past but I think now I understand more I can move ahead! :smiley:

Thank you!

Bernat

1 Like

I think one of the most important things is to remain relaxed while playing fast. once the tension creeps in it starts to slow u down.

I mean, of course there is a certain amount of tension needed to play fast but if u find yourself gripping and squeezing hard and tensing up then u definitely need to back off and relax more.

if u make it a habit then you will start to be able to play faster and faster while still remaining pretty relaxed. In a way you cant force it, you have to sort of “relax into it”

1 Like

This is i think one of my problems because i get tired easily which, I think is because of this so thank you for that advice. I seem to make big movements so maybe this would be a problem, I will practice and see! Thank You :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome aboard.

I would say, some form of ‘pick escaping’ must be used, whether it is single or double-escaped, it’s a necessity. Trying to play guitar without learning how to get over the strings is a bit like trying to learn how to drive without using the steering wheel. It can be done, but your going to be really limited.

I’d say, spend time trying multiple different methods of string transferring, and eventually you will find something that ‘clicks’. You can get a lot of ideas from the guitarists on CTC. If your main goal is hyper-speed. I’ve noticed that downstroke escape (aka UWPS) mechanics work well for many. So maybe try and focus on that.

Just as a matter of opinion, I think playing faster than MAB is more about bragging rights than it is about music. Anything faster than around 230 bpm 16th notes, is more of a rumble sound… where you can kinda hear patterns, but the notes are pretty much lost. But that is just my opinion.

2 Likes

Yes I sometimes believe this also, for instance the world record guys, no music about it to me. I just find it insane how myself I cannot do so much with speed and have difficulty then these guys like Tramaine, MAB and other people do it very easy :sweat_smile:

Welcome to the forum!

May I ask how long you’ve been playing and about how many hours a day you practice? You mentioned Michael Angelo Batio and I know he put in thousands and thousands of hours of practice to become able to do what he does. he says “Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.”

Speed and accuracy don’t come overnight. Also progress doesn’t happen on a linear graph where each day’s practice yields the same exact amount of improvement. You can go for long periods of time with little progress and then a lot of progress can come in a fairly short period of time. But it’s that consistent practice that allows us to break through a plateau and reach the next level. You never know when you might be about to make that next leap forward.

1 Like

I play for at least an hour every day and usually only on this technique at the moment, on weekends I can play more.Yes that is true, I have posted a question to Tramaine so hopefully I can at least have my doubts answered :sweat_smile: but i think that is the way, keeping the practice every day and for as long as i can! :grinning:

1 Like