Is there a standardized size for hex nuts used on guitar input jacks?

Hi, everyone! A hex nut holding the input jack on my brother’s acoustic-electric (nylon string) guitar in place mysteriously fell off and is nowhere to be found. I was wondering whether there is a standardized size for the hex nuts used for tightening input jacks on guitars, and if so, can he just buy one in that size at a regular hardware store? I’d appreciate any info on that.

It depends on the type of Jack. The metal switchcraft type like in most electric guitars is 3/8x32 thread, but imports can also be metric, those may be M9 x 0.75.

Same goes for some of the plastic jacks. The plastic cliff type jacks I believe are metric too, I just can’t recall the size or thread.

2 Likes

And on the abstract/trivia side, to the extent that there are any standards in guitar electronics, they are typically inherited from legacy “de facto” standards that emerged from the telecom industry.

1 Like

Any repair/guitar shop near should be able to just size it up give you one.

1 Like

They are called “panel nuts” and are usually 3/8”, but as has been mentioned before yours could be metric or a non-standard size, especially if the guitar was made in China.

1 Like