Is This A Good Starting Point For Proper Alternate Picking?

I want to start out by admitting that I should spend more time practicing. lol.

Ok, I’m on a quest for perfect alternate picking posture. I think this is the Gypsy technique I’m able to do first? I know I need to get my palm on down on the bridge.

Hey, I also want to ask if this is easier on heavier gauge strings? These 9’s are flapping like spaghetti.

(Removed Video)

To me it looks good, the attack seems much more consistent than the finger-based picking you showed previously!

1 Like

Looks good to me. One suggestion before you get too deep into complex lines is to experiment a little with slightly different arm and wrist angles on simple lines (even just fretting a single note on, say, the 12th fret) to really dial in whatever combination of angles is optimal for you. Spread the experimentation across all six strings, though I generally like to find something that works well on the D string first, then try it elsewhere.

1 Like

Looks really good for DWPS. I’m not really hearing any other string noise even though your hand isnt on the bridge so maybe you have ‘mystery muting’ like Marty Friedman, haha.
Also sounds kind of like you’re hitting the strings really hard, which might make it hard to keep a relaxed hand at faster speeds.
I agree with Frylock about practicing on a single string first, to make sure the technique’s going to work for you.

1 Like

don’t forget to incorporate proper muting with the picking hand.

1 Like

Hi Hanky_Pooh,

Looks to me like much of the energy is going into the guitar body as it’s seen wobbling with each rotation of the forearm on camera, no? I think I’m with the other folks that suggest experimenting with the different essential techniques to find what translates well. I look forward to hearing what you settle on.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 Like

Following on from this, while you’ve been playing forever, I’ll throw in that I practice almost exclusively standing up with the guitar on a strap, largely because it prevents my legs from interfering with the position of the guitar. It also makes it easier for me to keep my back straight while I play, which allows me to stay comfortable longer.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. Anytime I rehearse to play live it’s always standing. Lemme get a Fry man. :hamburger::fries::beer:

2 Likes

Hi Daniel! I think I have settled. I’ll try to make a new picking video tomorrow. I’ve been rocking out to Sia. That’s some heavy metal there. lol.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty classic dirty strat lead tone on the bridge pickup. Still the stock pickups?

1 Like

You ain’t kidding. Sia’s songs are really, really good.

1 Like

Cool video, sir! Already settled on an approach? You are way ahead of me then. :slight_smile:

There are some snippets in the Chandelier clip where you use a relaxed forearm rotation strum… I note that when I’m “on,” the forearm rotation seems to happen around an almost perfect fulcrum point closest to what I saw in the video that I’ve called attention to.

I observe in myself that when that happens, that strumming becomes instantly easier. Furthermore, when keeping a straight wrist for ergonomics and to bring it into focused speed picking, it approximates the moment of turning a key in a lock that turns without effort.

I’d like to see Troy and the gang do some analysis of the relationship between the two, strumming versus picking, and how the two mechanics come together. While there is definitely a relationship in my relaxed moments picking and strumming, resolving the “gear switches” between the two, relatively fine and gross motor mechanics, I can’t say that I’ve found the graceful transition I’m looking for. It’s safe to say that the CTC/MIM study has improved more than just my picking.

So the mystery remains. Hence we gather and pick things apart. Excuse the accidental Friday pun. Have a great one everybody!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s still the stock pickups. lol. If you hear the isolated guitar tracks there is a floor buzz noise from the pickups.

So, yeah, if doing a serious recording, this toy won’t work. The producer would throw it out a window.

Hey Cat, thanks man, I’m trying to make videos with junk equipment. But I gotta make it work. lol.

Yeah, that strum is how I play acoustic style backing rhythm. I have the same views as Paul Gilbert on playing “SONGS”. All of these techniques are just tools for your playing, they are not RULES.

If the sound you need for the song requires you to pick your arm up like Pete Townsend and smack the strings, do it. Learn the technique tools, but use your ears to get what you need out of the instrument.

I’ve been going out of pitch a lot when I solo and it’s pissing me off. :sunglasses: And that is a bigger problem than not getting a technique right. I will say that everything I do is ONE TAKE though because of the video editing nightmares from not doing it ONE TAKE. So maybe that pressure has me drifting the pitch. Damn it.

I’m about to post a new picking video under
My Picking Practice Update Video topic

Too bad, while I’m more of a bridge humbucker guy, I really liked that sound. Reminded me of all those detective and action TV shows in the 80s that had overdriven strat leads in their incidental music.

1 Like

Yeah, man. I have a treble boost in front of the amp. If I turn that off the floor noise on the pickups would probably go away. But then the tone would MUD up. If I install some stacked singles the tone would be about the same. Without the microphonic floor noise. Another option would be to POT these cheap pickups. That would probably shut them up.

1 Like