Is Yngwie using 2 way slanting in this clip?

looks a bit like some UWPS lol. what yall think? just the first few notes

Not sure which notes you’re referring to, but if it’s the legato stuff, he’s just using some finger motion to get a downstroke escape when necessary.

In general, this is another good example of why looking at the motions being made, and the way the pick is moving as a result, is more helpful than trying to look for a “pickslant”. Yngwie doesn’t use a very vertical picking motion, so any pickslant he does use will be small and not visible from most camera angles. And what we’re really asking anyway is, what motions is the player making, and how are they getting from one string to another. And that’s usually a lot clearer.

1 Like

go 1/2 or 1/4 speed and 14:23 and 14:24…what do u see? some weird positions to see his pick in

I see Yngwie using his fingers to pluck notes with an escape path, both upstroke and downstroke. We can fuss over what to call this but this isn’t really the kind of thing we were thinking of when we made the original “two way pickslanting” observations way back then. That was more of the “fast continuous picking motion… hey something changed in that motion… fast continuous picking motion again” type of thing.

Which is why I think looking at motions is really more of what we were commenting on with these terms to begin with. We weren’t clear because we called the motions a “slant”, so people looked at the pick instead of where the motion was coming from. And again I apologize for not being clearer about that.

Updates to the Primer that we are filming right now will hopefully explain this stuff a little better than we have previously.