It’s time for a new guitar

I’ve played guitar for 6.5 years and thanks to CTC I’ve finally become a competent player. However, over those years, I have never upgraded my guitar or amp. I’m still playing an Ibanez Gio with a Line 6 spider that my dad got me for $100 in a starter kit.

I am trying to decide if the new Ibanez AZ prestige series is worth a 2k investment or if I should grab a Fender elite/American professional. The specs on the Ibanez really seem like they put the Fender to shame, but it’s a lot of money.

I’m interested in Jazz, RnB, Jazz Fusion, and blues. The broad tonal differences here are why I’m leaning towards the AZ series.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/images/eg2018/AZ2402_ICM_00_01.png

The humbuckers tap and spilt for the single coil sounds I like and it has a two point tremolo like I’ve been searching for. I don’t normally like the thin Ibanez necks, but this new line has a C shape neck and a 12” radius so it’s the best of both for me. It also has stainless steel frets and a bone nut.

Thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated. Especially on the idea of new vs used. I am definitely in guitar for life. Brand recommendations or guitars welcome.

1 Like

I really like the look of that particular Ibanez, as well, and am curious to give one a try. I’ve played various Japanese Ibanez guitars for almost two decades now and I’d have no hesitation spending that kind of money on a good one, they’re excellent instruments.

That said, that particular model borrow heavily from Suhr in terms of aesthetics and specs - as long as you didn’t want a fancy wood top or anything, you could probably find a Suhr Modern for not much more, and my Modern 7 is an amazing instrument, one of the best I’ve ever played.

3 Likes

I’ll have to second the Suhr, had a Modern Satin and it was one the the most comfortable super strat type guitars I’ve ever played. Ibanez also make quality instruments in in my experience.

Personally I don’t see the point of purchasing a new guitar. I bought the Suhr second on reverb.com, which felt somewhat risky because it was unseen but the seller had good reviews on reverb.com and had plenty of good reviews on eBay. You’re money will go a lot further, and if you decide that the guitar isn’t for you then chances are you can get a most of it back. That’s what I did with the Suhr.

My Suhr had a HH configuration and I ended up missing the middle pickup. There are lots of people on the forum more knowledgeable than me about this. But if you want a lot tonal possibilities then I’d recommend maybe considering a guitar with middle pickup too, especially since you seem to be thinking about guitar where you can split the humbuckers. Making the middle pickup more usable together with other pickups in a single song in terms of output volume. If I had to choose then I would choose a guitar with splittable humbuckers over a guitar with only HSH configuration. But I’d prefer HSH with splittable humbuckers, covers just about everything in my opinion.

Good luck guitar hunting!

3 Likes

Get a better amp first, putting a 2K guitar through that monstrosity wouldn’t make much sense. If you like modelers try Boss Katana or Yamaha THR. If you are really into cleaner styles of playing I can’t recommend the THR10C enough. I haven’t spent much time with a Boss Katana but in my experience Yamaha’s VCM tech is the best sub $1000 modeling technology.

5 Likes

Maybe give the new Charvel models a look.

1 Like

Have you thought about making your own guitar? for $2k you could make your dream guitar with your own personal identity!

1 Like

Yeah I am planning on getting a THR10C too!

Yes, I have considered that. However, I’m having trouble finding a company that can get close to the quality parts of the Ibanez without going over it’s price.

I would personally split the money between guitar and amp.

You can probably get the Ibanez for $1500 street, while the Suhr will probably cost more like $2500+ street. Pretty big difference.

1 Like

Have you looked at Kiesel?

I’ve got nothing bad to say about the Japanese Ibanez production. However the Indonesian production is very, VERY inconsistent in QC to say the least.

Dang! was looking for a guitar making buddy ! lol

I found a old rotary washing line - it’s all aluminium tubes - so I’m going to try and make a guitar from it. My first attempt will be a pre-built neck with a part aluminum body for the bridge and body silhouette . I’m going to design it like the Yamaha SLG200s (which I used to have). The body silhouette - will be aluminium tubes bent into shape - just planning it now. If the first one is even slightly usable - I’ll make a second one - but build the neck myself - so I can have 36 frets!!

1 Like

That sounds awesome. Please post updates somewhere!

I played a Suhr Modern Satin today and it was perfect! Definitely considering it now.

1 Like

I will do that - I’m super excited about it really. First one is going to have just 1 pickup - but on a slider and rotator hinge I can physically move it to be neck or bridge pickup. Will be a few weeks before I get the first one finished! I realize how tricky designing a neck out for aluminium will be (fret radius and height adjust would be a pain), so first attempt will be a ebay neck 24fret for 24quid.

1 Like

I have a Dean MAB Armorflame. Bough the guitar in my teenage years because I think it would be awesome do shred (before that I only played Les Pauls, and still have one). But as times goes by I realized that it was an awesome guitar to play a lot of stuff. Give it a try!

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with following your heart, but you can get a really nice superstratish type guitar for around $600 to $1000. Suhr makes great guitars, and high-end Ibanez are nice, but more modestly priced guitars ghost-built by the big factories in South Korea and Indonesia and sold under various brand names are so good that it’s really hard to justify paying more unless it’s for political or moral reasons. The most important thing for tonal variation is the pickups, and you can get that dimension covered with aftermarket pickups even on a cheapo starter-pack guitar. The most important thing for playability is setup, and tolerances on most mass-produced guitars these days are good enough that pretty much anything you buy can be set up to play like a beast.

Further on pickups, 5-way switches and toggle switches are inexpensive, and any 4-conductor humbuckers can be wired for the same switching options as the AZ2402 with a small amount of internet homework and just a tiny amount of soldering ability. Sweetwater praises the pickups as “balanced sounding” but also gives the bottom line that they’re “moderate output” Alnico V passive humbuckers. Places like Guitarfetish and others sell perfectly decent Alnico V humbuckers in vintage, medium, or hot output levels for about $35 each. If you prefer, “industry standard” aftermarket humbucker models from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio are about $80 each.

And regarding bridge, the page below says the bridge on the AZ2402 is the T1802, which is a variant of the T1502 with titanium saddles, and the T1502 itself is based on a design similar to the Gotoh 510T.

There are several variants of the Gotoh 510 (see below).

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product-category/tremolo-510-series

The Suhr page below about replacement arms summarizes the 510 variants Suhr uses (a 2-post solid saddle version, a 2-post bent-saddle version, and a 6-screw bent-saddle version). I imagine the bridge used by Suhr that’s closest to the bridge on the Ibanez AZ2402 is the 2-post solid-saddle 510: the Gotoh 510TS-FE1.

https://www.suhr.com/shop/gotoh-510-tremolo-arm/

The Gotoh 510TS-FE1 can be hard to track down as an aftermarket purchase, but one option is the authorized dealer in Japan below that deals internationally:

I’ve seen claims that with a small amount of dremeling to the guitar’s tremolo rout, the 510TS-FE1 can be used as a drop-in replacement to the 2-point bridge on an American Standard Strat. Personally, I’d be tempted to find a cheap guitar I liked with a 6-hole vintage style bridge and drill my own post-holes to install an aftermarket 510 as a flat-mount (the AZ2402 is recessed). DIY routing for a recessed install of the 510 should be do-able, but would be tricker. (Slightly revising from the info below, I’d diy install a Gotoh 510TS-BS1 instead of the 510TS-FE1).

Looking more closely, the shape of the Titanium saddles on the T1802 more closely resemble the brass solid saddles on the Gotoh 510TS-BS1 than the steel solid saddles on the 510TS-FE1. The dimension sheets indicate that the 510TS-BS1 and 510TS-FE1 are dimensionally identical, just with different saddles. Note that in both cases, the “TS” in the name is indicating a steel block; they’re also available in slightly cheaper zinc-block versions indicated with “T” instead of “TS” (the T1802 on the AZ2402 comes with a steel block). Gotoh also makes “six-screw” versions of the 510 bridges, but you’re expressing interest in 2-point.

Short version: nothing wrong with the AZ2402, but you can get way more bang-for-the-buck by buying a decent cheaper guitar, installing a nearly identical Gotoh bridge and hot-rodding the pickups to your liking for less than half the street price of the AZ2402. If you can find a decent price on a used American Standard Strat, you shouldn’t even need to drill new post holes for the 510 (though still a bit of dremeling on the tremolo rout).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, this gives me a lot to think about. A local store has a Suhr Modern Satin for an amazing price so I’m going to seriously consider it. However, if that falls through your option is also interesting.

A Suhr is probably more of a conversation starter, in case that matters to you. Probably holds value for resale better than other options as well.

2 Likes

If you’ve been practicing for six years, you’re probably pretty(very) good, but if you’ve been playing a Spyder, you probably don’t have a great understanding of tone, no fault of your own.

Electric guitars are typically made of one of three kinds of wood (and their variants). Basswood, Alder, and Mahogony.

Most Gibsons/Epiphones are Mahogany. It is deep sound with a sparkle on top. To my ears it has a “U” shaped EQ and usually sounds the most resonant unplugged.

Most Fenders are Alder. Alder has lots of mids, favoring the treble side.

Most Superstrats (Ibanez) are Basswood, although I’ve been seeing more Alder superstrats lately and the Ibanez catalog also has more alder models. Basswood is very balanced, Suhr has stated that he prefers this wood.

Before buying a 2K+ guitar, make sure you knokw what kind of wood it is. These differences are very noticable when playing through good amplifiers.

When you buy a guitar, I think you should base the decision on what kinds of music/tones you like the most. There are no hard and fast rules, but shredders usually prefer basswood, although I’m seeing an increase in Alder (this may come down to increasing cost of Basswood.)

I think it would be much more fun to have three $700 guitars than one $2000 guitar.

2 Likes