It's all Donna Lee's fault (my detour through "Economy")

A number of years ago, when I was focusing on Jazz, I decided that I couldn’t play Donna Lee with my existing DWPS/ up-sweep technique, so I decided to go “full Economy”. Well, I made it work, sort of, but hit a wall. And got a sore elbow too. All this got worse when I decided to take up Bluegrass.
Now after one day with a DBX alternate-picking technique (using the motorcycle movement) I’m already playing smoother and just as fast. Videos coming soon.
Thanks Troy/CtC!!!
P.S. I wasn’t even close to trying to play this fast.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you’re makign progress with double escape motion. Which joints are you using and are you sure it’s double escape and not stringhopping?

Joe Pass wasn’t a double escape player. He was actually a DWPS player, like the Gypsies, George Benson, Yngwie, and so on. In other words, one-way economy with only downstroke sweeping and no upstroke sweeping. He’s a great example of how the simple approaches can play pretty much whatever you want as long as you have some flexibliity in how you arrange the lines.

1 Like

Well, have a look. First videos posted to the Technique Critique category at Jim's baseline techniques