Its Pickslanting Primer a Method?

Something thas does not get clear to me is if Pickslanting Primer is a method. I am 33 years old and I play since i was 14. I have been in bands, i know to read music, i can make arranges for other instruments, i can produce music, my colleagues say im good at it. So i can say without being a prick that i can get with music and doing music, but the thing is i could never been able to play fast (gilbert fast). Im not a clumsy neither a super lean player, but i manage myself to make a good sounding solo.
So anyway, what im looking its a step by step guide to change the way i play (more specific the way I pick). Is it like A Modern Method for Guitar or the piano books from Carl Czerny? in the sense that the exercises make you progress trough the course or is it more like disertations about different techniques (DWPS, UWPS, 2WPS, etc) with a couple of excercises in the mix??

here is a link to a song that i recorded (all the electric guitar parts its me) https://www.dropbox.com/s/d66t7xtgaopby7i/Marea%20Crece%202012.16.09.mp3?dl=0

i hope i explain myself well.
Cheers!

1 Like

I don’t think the pickslanting primer is a step by step method rather it is a description of various picking approaches that have worked for a variety of players.
I think the best way for you (or anyone) to get the most out of the material here is to:

1. watch the entire primer and determine what YOURE primary approach to picking is. Are you primarily an UWPS, DWPS etc.
  2. move next to the masters in mechanics seminars. If you are a dwps watch the volcano and cascade series first.
    If you are an uwps check out the antigravity series. Play through all of the clips that Troy and Co. have provided. There are tons of cool licks to try.
    That alone could take weeks to months to get through to the point where you can play these examples cleanly and with some degree of speed
  3. once you have played some clips, you will obviously be better at some than others. Take one that you play well and record a clip and post it here!!
  4. have FUN!!!’
    :blush:
2 Likes

I think it’s wisest to look at CTC as less of a method and more of a study. This is the source material that someone would use to write their method book.

2 Likes

Not really. But it’s becoming more procedural over time. Currently, the best starting point is not in the Primer, though anyone who buys it can also watch it for free on the platform. It is this:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/introduction-to-picking-motion/

The most important first step anyone can do is establish a picking motion. And the best way to do that is to try them all. We provide instructions on how to do that in this broadcast, with some thoughts on grip and how it interacts with the movements.

Updated versions of the Pickslanting Primer, which we are filming right now, will be free to all purchasers (as have all our updates to this product, ever) and will contain more material like this broadcast, except in much greater step-by-step detail as far as establishing these motions and checking that they are correct. At the moment, between this intro broadcast and the Primer itself many important bases are covered.

When it comes to playing phrases and building vocabulary, that will always be non-procedural because I don’t believe it should be a sequence. Once you know how the mechanics work and can actually execute them, you can pick and choose the lines we cover in the Primer and elsewhere as you like. That part is up to you!

1 Like

thanks for the answer Troy! So i would have to pay for the suscription then? i mean i was thinking about buying PP but maybe it would be better if I pay a month for example and take a look around right??
Something that maybe i did explain right is that i dont want to learn a couple of lick for my arsenal, what i want to do is internalize and build a muscle memory thats allows me to play in a different way from know on, like changing the way you breath to sing. Thats why is was looking for something more like a path, something that takes me from easy to hard. i dont know if im explaining this correctly.

Pick slant is the how, not the what, so it’s less of a method than what I think you’re asking for, and more of a method of operation of how players from all walks do what they do. So, if you want licks for 2WPS, grab a Paul Gilbert DVD. But if you want the how of Paul’s technique, run it alongside the Antigravity product, just as an example. Troy’s stuff is like the preworkout drink you take before heading to the gym of guitar gains.

That’s our main focus. We are not as ‘procedural’ about this as I would like to be, but we are getting there piece by piece.

In terms of raw cost, a one-month subscription is the cheapest thing we offer. The Primer as a single-time purchase is about about 2.5 months cost, but it will be periodically updated over time with more stuff, as it has been since the beginning, so in some sense it is a one-time “subscription”.

Personally, we designed the site to be everything we make under one roof, and that is my preferred way of presenting it. If you want to see more examples of any of the techniques we talk about, you can go look in one of the many interviews we have up here to see players who use similar techniques. So you can compare their form, and hear what they have to say about it.

As I type this, we just finished uploading musical clips and slow motion examples for the Carl Miner 2015 interview, which for various behind-the-scenes technical reasons we have not had on the site yet. And there are so many good examples of Carl’s crosspicking technique in that interview, for players who are trying to learn that stuff.

And probably next week we’ll start getting some of the Andy Wood live broadcasts up, with musical examples, which despite all the meetings we have done with him, have really good shots of things I’ve never really asked him before about his technique and form.

The tech necessary to format all this stuff and get it up in the cloud in automated fashion is stuff we’re polishing right now, and it’s getting easier and easier to get things done and get them up.

So again, I feel like everything works best when presented together, but we try to make everything we present, whether it’s the subscription or the individual downloads, worth the money in one way or another.

1 Like