J.S.Bach violin preludes

Hey guys, I’m working on some Bach preludes for a while. I think they are the one of the best things to use to study picking technique, plus it’s amazing music. From the violin preludes I am working on the Gm Presto and Bm double presto. Good cross picking technique will be a huge help as there are many arpeggio passages, as well as scaler passages. Check out Chris Thile- absolutely flawless. Anyhow, anyone else using these studies?

2 Likes

I’m studying Partita in E arranged by Rick Graham as an Hybrid Picking etude:

I’ve been adding my own right hand fingerings in some sections because it fits better with the guitar I’m playing right now, but I consider Rick has made a great job with this arrangement.

Right now I’m working as well on the “Estudio de Velocidad” by Francisco Tarrega, a classical guitar master piece, it sounds pretty with a pick as well, and is a great opportunity to put in practice several picking concepts.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I used to play several Bach suites on classical guitar, including BWV 1001, which includes that amazing Presto. Never tried to play it with a pick though.

2 Likes

I’ve worked out the BWV 1001 piece as well, now I think I need to study it in more depth for what really going on in there, it’s pure magic.

1 Like

This is great- very clean and well executed. Personally I am looking to play it all alternate picking. I think it’s doable, especially with good cross picking technique.

1 Like

I agree with you, it is doable, it’s a real challenge. But in my opinion, as far as musicality concerns, the results are so much better with cross picking.

R. Graham is quite obsessed with Bach for sure.

And Partita is definitely quite playable using alt-picking. Doing string skipping alternating at 130ish bpm is pretty standard for X-pickers.