Jason Becker DSX motion

This stuff.

It should start as soon as he starts doing it, with pinky and ring on the body and a huuuge wrist motion, I’ve never seen anyone using such excessive motion to do DSX. And the weird thing is he stopped doing it after his teens or at least around when he met Marty Friedman, I wonder why we don’t see him doing it past his earlier years?

Mostly I Wana point it out as an example of DSX, and wonder why he stopped using it?

This too

It’s the most excessive motion I’ve seen doing DSX, and he seemed to just drop that technique totally in his later playing.

1 Like

Could you show an example where he is no longer using this motion? I was just having a look through different Cacophony live videos and it still looks the same with the noticeable upward slant and the pinky and ring anchor :slight_smile:

You get a short glimpse of it here after the sweeping section, though he’s not playing that fast in that particular moment:

I can’t show an example of where he’s not using it, cus he’s not using it lol, he changed to a single anchor with his pinky, and his ring on the high e string, not used as an anchor anymore, and as far as I can tell usx with some alternative picking, I’ve never seen a video where he does true DSX like he did in his teens.
What he seems to be doing after the sweep is some alternate picking and legato, perhaps full alternate, hard to tell, but I don’t see DSX there.
It’s so obvious when he does pure DSX, here is the latest time wise video I’ve seen of him doing it. Great insight as well, mad flapping. Thats all you need with a single escape.

I’m sure without doubt he did it at times, but from everything I’ve seen this double finger supported dsx flapping vanishes from his later playing. And it turns into usx with alternate. Most the videos after this are from live cacophony videos, I don’t remember seeing him ever do this movement again. But if I’m wrong someone post it! :grin:

I like how he described it as fake too, I think thats saying he was using legato a lot and not full alterate, alternate being viewed as the only legit technique at the time?

Here is one of the closest videos I’ve seen, To me it’s usx with alternate. The are other videos but to pull an example out of memory this is the best. I don’t understand why someone who grew up doing DSX so well naturally would show no signs of it later down the line? I personally think the hammer ons that are required for DSX are weak notes and the pull offs that usx need are stronger and more defined. Perhaps I’m totally wrong. Idk lol

2:57 and 4:10

I think maybe Marty was a big influence on Jason’s later playing, Marty being full on usx.

At 4:05 you got Marty and Jason doing same line and cam showing each, Can that line be played using DSX? If so why would someone doing DSX most his life not do DSX. I can’t learn n figure it out atm. I should be asleep lol

Thinking about it a bit you can do pull offs with DSX, Decending lines down the neck are ok with pull offs, but asending are hammers. I think thats probably where the issue is? it’s something I’ve not practiced. Perhaps its about defining the ascending runs better? And with usx most the legato is pulloffs, so it’s got a punchier sound, maybe that was a cause for the change.

I meant an example of the new motion he is using :slight_smile:

Interestingly when demonstrating slower after the linked part in the video he switches to the pinky body anchor and ring high e string anchor!

I think I see what you mean here, I can definitely see some USX looking stuff. If I had to guess I bet it’s linked to his development of sweeping, after learning my new DSX motion recently all my old sweeps felt horrible. There seems to be a trend with guys being DSX and them preferring string skipping over sweeping e.g. Andy James and Paul Gilbert

Yeah, I hate the feeling of ascending hammers. DSX feels best for me with most stuff alternate picked and using two sequential pull offs when absolutely necessary (instead of the one pull off you get with USX)

1 Like

The new motion is pinky on body and ring on high e. Thats what he’s doing after the sweeps like you say, but with no DSX I can see. I just don’t get why something he did since his early years and just about better than I’ve ever seen, would never be seen again.
The ring finger is not an anchor if thats what you’re pointing out, it’s just a guide to keep around the same area. I guess on a boat thats what an anchor does a lot too, but I think an anchor acually gives a physical grip, the anchor not moving much. While the boat bobs around and does it’s thing. In his older videos he anchors with both pinky and ring. On the body.

I don’t like hammers asending either, at least in terms of DSX, it is hard to feel it n trips me up.

If any one has seen a video where he does DSX to shread I’d love to see it.