Jason Richardson

Hello there!I just thought that making a topic about Jason would be a cool idea because he is such a GOOOOD player. I did not know about him until the release of his solo album, which totally blew my mind.

And taking about the album and the crazy shred on it, there is a good “magnet” like camera view on his picking hand while his playing crazy alternate picking parts.

I want to hear your thought on his picking, it seems to me that he is using UWPS and elbow picking on super fast runs like this one, starting at 0:56:

And also a saw a change in the placement of his right hand comparing the clip above to this one:

Sooo, share your thoughts please

5 Likes

Jason is without question one for the most accurate pickers I’ve ever heard! His album is pretty unique too, not your standard ‘shred’ album at all.

This video has always impressed me, the picking from 0.30 onwards has robot like accuracy. Amazing stuff!

I know that its not a standart shred,but,talking about his fast alternate picking runs,what do you think?
It seems that in the beginning of the Aviator solo he is picking from his wrist but later,when the long fast run comes he is using his elbow

Great player. The rigid elbow with the radial “hockey stick” wrist offset, you are correct, that is textbook upward pickslanting form. If there is no variation in this across picking patterns, then only half the string changes will clear, and the rest must be swiped. That’s what the form suggests. Can’t tell sonically or visually if that’s what’s going on, and the hair band / camcorder room mic / dense mix would obviously all help control that. If there is other movement going on that we can’t see, then we’d need a pick / string closeup.

The moderate speed stuff in @TheCount’s clip could involve different movements that clear more deliberately, but the web cam footage is not up to snuff.

Again, cool player. We’ll add him to the (ever-growing) list of players to potential reach out to.

4 Likes

Husband elbow stuff at high speeds looks similar to John Taylor or Rusty Cooleys movements. There doesn’t a seem to be a huge amount of HD playing footage out there’s (I guess he’s still kind of new to the scene) but there’s the music video of the clip I sent above:

His solo starts around 2.37. Obviously it’s mimed for the video, but it may give some idea. There’s a hand close up around the 3.00 mark for the ascending scale which looks like two way slanting (I’m not as much of an expert as some members of this new forum so correct me if I’m wrong!)

Actually thats an economy picking run)

A video from his instagram with a GoPro with a fast run at the end

Man this is emo AF.

Again, great playing but not the kind of video angles we can glean much from at the pick/string level. The high-speed elbow stuff is indeed Cooley-like, which is a one-way pickslanting movement, not a two-way pickslanting movement. That appears to be the case here - I don’t see anything resembling two-way when he clicks into elbow mode. There’s not much hint (i.e. swiping) to be gleaned from the hyper-produced recorded sound with a full mix behind it.

The other stuff, sure, there are a lot of other techniques here, including some wrist motion, some finger motion. I assume these movements are realistic since it’s hard to fake a movement you (most likely) don’t even realize you’re making.

6 Likes

I’d love to see some isolated playing with good camera angles cause it almost looks tense to watch him play, yet sounds so fast. A lot of his videos at clinics and even on instagram feature him playing along to the already-recorded parts or “support tracks” with some live pick/string noise blended in, so it’s hard to tell how accurate his isolated chops would be. Hope we get to find out.

Id mock Polyphia’s dress sense, but I’m currently wearing a Hendrix jacket, nail polish and eye liner, so I’d be slightly hypocritical! Haha!

Interesting analysis though, I hadn’t noticted much of that! Thanks for sharing. Would certainly be interesting to sit down with him if it comes together.

1 Like

If this is only one way pickslanting movement, does that mean that Rusty in his highes speeds also uses just one picklsant and swipes another half of the string changes?

Rusty’s elbow technique is a one-way technique, and there really isn’t a strong connection between the number of notes fretted on a given string, and the number of notes picked on that string. We see the same thing in Marshall Harrison’s technique, and we talk about this similarity here:

https://troygrady.com/interviews/marshall-harrison/analysis-chapter-8-stacked-gilberts/

Rusty’s two-way pickslanting technique, which he uses for speeds which are not quite as insane, but still very fast, is more traditionally synchronized, similar to what we see with players like Gilbert, Batio, and so on.

2 Likes

I was just recently at the John Petrucci guitar universe guitar camp and spent majority of my time talking to Jason about his technique, I can say economy picking is not something he does for the most part, he stated “I will attempt to alternate pick anything and everything” he does not like sweeping or economy picking as well he said that he does majority of us picking from his elbow and wrist combination, hope this is helpful

2 Likes

That’s a late bump, but coincidentally matches the content of this following video. Much like an economy picker like Marshall Harrison was found to still alternate pick certain passages despite not trying to, Jason Richardson who prefers strict alternate picking found himself after countless practice hours to play a few downstrokes in a row here and there. He is vocal about preferring outside picking to inside picking, arguing that the bigger range of motion from a string to another is preferable than the shorter one of inside picking. Interpret that however you want; still quite interesting in terms of string skipping!

2 Likes

Cool video thanks! I have the impression that many pros, as they get more established, build a vocabulary around the string changes that they like and throw away the rest (Paul Gilbert is also a famous supporter of outside picking as we know).

Edit: and Jorge Strunz talks about throwing away the awkward licks pretty explicitly!

I think the problem of inside VS outside is not the range (which I’d argue is pretty much the same - see old video from Troy on the subject) - is more to do with hitting the string during the accelerating/decelerating phase of the pickstroke. IMO of course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well this was the video. What Troy argued was that what was difficult wasn’t inside or outside string changes, but switching from inside to outside string changes and therefore changing pickslants to do so.

However, the discussion in the video is more about what used to be called TWPS, so I’m not sure if it’s completely relevant when discussing striking skipping and 1NPS alternate picking, which is more likely to use cross picking. That said, pickslanting is used in cross picking, so it’s not completely irrelevant and still worth being discussed.

My take-away from that video, which admittedly I watched over a year ago so could be completely mangling in my brain, was that the difficult with (certain instances of) inside picking stems from the impossibility of swiping those changes.

Firstly, I think it’s important to recognize that the lick Richardson is demonstrating is a long sequence of alternate one-note-per-string playing, so what we’d now describe as “double escaped” picking, or what we’ve sometimes referred to as “crosspicking”.

I think what Richardson is experiencing is that the more strings you are crossing between notes, the greater the temptation for an “inside change” (a stroke that attacks the target string in the direction of the current string change) to become a “single escaped” stroke that buries itself between the strings after it hits the target, because it’s very tempting to get lazy and hit the target without initiating any change in slant (or whatever terminology we use now to refer to a change from one “escape orientation” to another). Meanwhile with an “outside change” (a stroke that attacks the target string in the direction opposite the current string change), the change in direction to come back and hit the target can serve as a kind of cue to also initiate the change in slant.

Though as many of @Troy’s interview subjects have demonstrated, a refined “double-escaped” technique can pretty much ignore any question of which changes are “inside” and which are “outside”.

Edit: And the linked CTC youtube video does a good job of explaining why in “single-escaped” picking, any discussion of “inside vs outside” is pretty much moot. It also makes a pretty persuasive case that in intermittently “double-escaped” licks, or what we’ve sometimes called “two way pickslanting” (like the “Paul Gilbert Lick”), “inside” and “outside” picking are more similar than people tend to realize, and the perception that one is more difficult than the other probably boils down to lack of awareness/understanding about the need to change the “slant” (escape orientation). And as @Prlgmnr notes, the potential to execute a lick with swiping can further obscure why one variation seems “easier” than another.

Here’s another clip. Despite being a huge proponent of alternate picking, Jason prefers economy picking after sweeping at the speed it’s played at, and to him makes sense as it’s a three note per string run. The lick that follows is played with pure alternate picking as Jason claims it cannot be played with economy picking in terms of anatomy. It seems the lick has nothing but odd number of notes per string except a sequence of 16 notes on the B string. The lick is otherwise structured in terms of notes per string as 3-3-3-7 except for the first two strings (3 then 7).

That said, inside string changes through alternate picking don’t feel too weird to (some) economy pickers, as evidenced by Marshall Harrison when he plays some Gilbert 3NPS licks… although the speed here is absolutely insane!

An interesting interview, with pretty interesting camera angles as well, like this one. Apparently, even he finds bluegrass hard!