Jimmy Bruno---any JBGW students here?

Just watched the Jimmy Bruno MIM interview. Jimmy plays great, as always. I spent a good bit of time at his Guitar Workshop (JBGW) and had to learn those “five fingerings” he demonstrates here. He wasn’t able to give me much advice about picking (beyond the basics of economy picking) and I understand why: he never had the problems I have had for years. :grinning: I’m so glad Troy came along and broke down the mechanics so guys like me could see, “O, THAT’S why I always screw up that lick at that same point!” I love Jimmy’s overall approach to playing and teaching. (For those who don’t recognize the tune, that’s “Have You Met Miss Jones” that he’s playing at the end. Was wondering if anyone else here has also spent much time with Jimmy’s approach.

1 Like

Hi @Milkweed.

I don’t have any experience with his online materials, but I have both of his Hot Licks videos. I really liked No Nonsense Jazz Guitar in particular.

1 Like

That’s a good one! Jimmy’s online stuff nowadays starts with the “five fingerings.” (Everyone has to submit a video doing them to Jimmy’s satisfaction before you can work on anything else. It’s not hard. It’s hard to play them as fast and clean as Jimmy but that’s not mandatory. It gives everyone a common frame of reference.) From there, people can work on chords, tunes, melodic cells, picking, whatever. (Jimmy’s especially good at chord melody and some people study with him to learn about that more than how to play fast solos. ;o)
You set your own path, really, but when he gives you an assignment, he may make you do it over six times before he thinks you’re ready to move on.He’s tough—but he knows what’s doing and a lot of his students are good players. I’m glad I spent time there.

1 Like

I’m not a student of JBGW, but I often check out Jimmy’s vlog posts on youtube. Reminds me of some old-timers I used to work with, and definitely unfiltered.

1 Like

Yes, Jimmy’s YouTube videos are not for the faint of heart!
His language can be rough but his playing is of incredible
delicacy. Although I wish I was as fast as he is, his chord melody work is more beautiful, I think.