John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring Live from Capitol Theatre-NOW!

Free webcast. Herring played the first set, John coming up.

2 Likes

Watched some of the two bands onstage together towards the end of the gig–fantastic playing. Was very impressed by Herring. I hadn’t really heard him before. McLaughlin played great but maaaaan talk about icepick tone. In any case I loved the two songs I tuned in for and can’t wait for the Seattle date!

2 Likes

Many thanks for posting this, I’m gonna have to set aside a lot of hours to watch the whole thing.

I noticed there are some great shots of Jimmy’s picking technique:

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely worth watching, especially if one is a Mahavishnu fan. Both bands are killing and indeed Jimmy is total badass-great playing , tone and feel. Personaly it was a very emotional thing, John’s music means so much to me. Starting the third set where both bands come on stage, he gets his doubleneck and lunch into Meeting of The Spirits, well, that’s such an iconic moment. I wish I could actually be in one of those shows, but watching it last night was the next best thing-it was a great production. Definitely worth staying up until 6 a.m. (in this part of the wolrd).
Thank god it’s Sunday.:slight_smile:

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’m green with envy. :slight_smile:

Check it out!

Great show. Good camera angles and good playing.

2 Likes

I saw them here in Atlanta. Kevin Scott, the bassist in Jimmy’s band, is a local musician whom my former bandmate would jam with. It was weird seeing some dude you’ve had sitting on your couch on stage with John McLaughlin playing the music of Mahavishnu Orchestra. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous and that it didn’t make me reconsider my own meager accomplishments… That aside, it was a great show! McLaughlin is a big hero of mine

1 Like

Saw them in Boston - that was a pretty humbling show, for sure.

killer show in Seattle!

Realized we had a previous topic on this so I merged the more recent posts > the existing discussion. FYI @manfrommanteo you may want to edit your post / add a comment about the video instead of the YouTube link since it’s now above already.

No worries of course, and thanks for posting…weirdly it seems the forum doesn’t handle search by YouTube URL so surprisingly tricky to find if a video’s been posted previously!

Got it. I didn’t see the previous link (same link as I posted). I first saw Jimmy with Jazz Is Dead at Big Rock Stock festival in Richmond, Va., along with Cheap Trick and a few other bands in May, 1998. I had heard of ARU and listened to one of their albums, but it was this live show that really began my following of Jimmy and his playing.

1 Like