JohnMcLaughlin rhythm

I don’t get what is going on in this simple enough looking vid! The angles are all odd yet he is hitting the strings properly. I know he is a UWPS…is that what he is doing here?

can anyone throw any light on the mechanics at work here?

Thanks guys

PS 1:30 is a good place to start

Much more of this guy ^ to come BTW :slight_smile:

Hey Scotty!

Nowadays we changed the language a bit to try and be more clear. The broad description of Mc Laughlin’s picking approach would be “Primary-DSX” = “Primary downstroke escape”.

In other words, his default picking motion is such that downstrokes go above the plane of the strings, so that changing strings after a downstroke is effortless for him. However, he can also modify his picking trajectory when he needs to do an upstroke string change - it’s typically obvious when he does it.

in this particular strumming section that you posted, around 1:30, my best guess is that with all this twisting that you see in this wrist/arm he is just achieving a pick trajectory that is more or less flat against the strings (except at the end points of the strum).

By the way, it may seem super strange that I suggest a Gambale video in response to a Mc Laughlin one - but this is a great lesson by Troy on pick attack that I think touches on relevant concepts (how to ensure that the pick glides smoothly across strings):

thanks for that…it’s very exciting and interesting to get an answer like that…primary DSX? i have never heard of that one :slight_smile:

here is the same thing in another two vids…1st video at13:00 and the 2nd at 4:58

i just don’t see how he is rotating which way or what to even get a simple down stroke…the back of his hand appears to be rotating away from the face of the guitar for an up stroke and inwards/towards guitar for a down stroke …is this the same flat pick trajectory you spoke off in your 1st reply above?

BTW thanks very much…this is helpful :wink: