Juan's progress thread

Alrirght, CTC friends, got myself an electric guitar a few weeks ago and feel ready to take advantage of the community wisdom.

I’ve been around here for a while and it was yesterday that I saw @gabrielthorn progress thread, that inspired me to do the same.

Here is my first recording at different speed rates (I know, it’s less than optimal, but want to document my starting point), am looking forward to read your advice/critique:

At 0.30x:

At 0.50x:

At 1x:

What I played:

I am trying to use “wrist picking” as my main mechanic.

As well, have a question about my guitar strings’s action, is there a recommended height?

View of my string’s height on fret 12

Currently, it is setup at 1,17mm and feels not bad.

2 Likes

Great start so far I think!

Based on your video, I would probably soften the attack a bit (either by picking lighter, adding more edge picking, something else… or a combination of everything).

This depends on a few things, but boils down to preference. In general, if you have very very light strings, you’ll likely be able to raise the action pretty high and still feel decently “nimble”. If your strings are very heavy, higher action will feel much harder, and you’ll likely want it low enough so that your fretting hand doesn’t feel noticeably tired from playing.

2 Likes

Thanks @Pepepicks66.

Alright, will practice sostening my attack, actually tried after reading you adding more edge picking to the formula, not quite intuitive for me yet, but let’s see where it takes me.

Certainly I can feel how the string crossing is done more fluidly with it in the mix.

As for the action’s string answer, thanks a lot. It is brief and insightful. Currently am using a 0.10-0.46 stringset. It feels quite confortable at this moment, don’t know if the 1,17mm action will be a problem when getting into the faster lane(?).

Thanks a lot for your answer.

1 Like