Kiko Loureiro's Shredding Secrets - video

Hi everyone

Thought you might enjoy this if you haven’t seen it yet. I know there are some Kiko fans in here. But really worth a look for anyone interested in picking. There is a real focus on his picking in here (first 12 mins).

I always feel I learn a lot from him as well about what it is like to be a pro touring musician in a successful band. For instance here the hitting the right string after you arm is in the air without looking while live on stage etc. Anyway I won’t spoil it for you - hope you enjoy it!

1 Like

the one thing i hate that they start talking about at the end is how these players sort of own these shapes, or what not, and that is utter nonsense. play whatever you want, they don’t, and never have owned a chord shape, a bend, sequence, arpeggio, pattern, no one owns a frequency, groove, rhythm, or even a crafted analog synth sound.

1 Like

I was going to post this video too. There’s some great stuff here, especially on how he developed his technique, and his focus on less is more, and relaxation. Wonderful guitar and music lesson in general.

I’d love to see Kiko on Cracking the Code!

1 Like

I agree. Kiko is great but there is just as much merit in executing things that are stylistically idiomatic to a high level of skill or just doing it your way than necessarily trying to avoid things people have done before. This line of thinking is a phenomena that’s almost exclusive to rock music or less traditional jazz. I don’t think you hear many players of music with deeper traditions like folk styles or classical etc worried about “denying” what came before you.

Bottom line, even if you’re not reinventing the wheel, you’re still going to sound like you. Even if I tried to copy x guitar player or band, I didn’t grow up and have identical life experiences as those other players, or grow up in the same musical community or climate. All of those factors count. And I really believe players that truly are innovative don’t consciously try to be, they just happen to be gifted with more creativity I guess.

1 Like