Learning Eric Johnson - Camel's Night Out

Yeah that looks way more like what he’d do. :ok_hand: Most of those tab books have him playing a lot of legato stuff and I don’t think he’s doing that occasionally but for the most part he’s picking every note.

I was talking about his use of legato with Troy in a separate thread. His stance was that EJ almost always picks. The exceptions would the standard rules where it’s required for the string changes as per typical EJ/Yngwie framework. The other exception is just occasional slurs here and there, for flavor.

EDIT: I just realized this was also the thread that gave me the idea to start my own EJ Licks thread. Here’s a link to see the discussion about EJ and legato:

2 Likes

I took your tab and ran with it. I think I got it right using EJ’s style but an open to being corrected.

Cool!

Looks like it makes sense to me. I don’t have a guitar where I am right now :scream: but Playing through in my head it’s nice.
The one thing I would say - those bits where you have three notes on one string - are there slides in there somewhere. Otherwise you have odd numbers of nps and the picking pattern falls apart.

1 Like

The Camel’s Night Out lick sounds like this to me:

The G3 Live album version is different:

He played it like that on ACL '96 too. Picking approach above is my best guess after watching this slowed down.

There’s a similar lick in F on ACL '88, with more alternate picking:

2 Likes

Yes where there are 3 notes on a string I hear slides when I slow the song down in Transcribe.