Left hand / right handed - Switching hands for better picking abilities?

Hi there!

I’m a lefty playing “normal” right handed guitars (and banjos, mandolins, ukuleles the same way), as many other guitar players do.
I used to think this was not an important matter at all, as I often heard. When you start guitar, both your hands are beginners anyway.

However, a recent experiment I made me question this. Could we have one hand with an inate (or acquired early, like writing) much stronger potential for speed/acuracy than the other?

Let me explain:

My background picking with the right hand:

• I’ve always been a slow picker, mainly feeling I was unable to move my right hand faster (tremolo picking at 120bpm max with wrist deviation).
  • On the advice of Troy and other members, I switched to a predominantly elbow motion, which seemed to be my most effective motion and allowed me to get of to about 165bpm tremolo.
  • However, I could never (so far), add the wrist motion necessary to any crosspicking, and therefore had to adapt the lines I’m playing. Morever, 165bpm tremolo speed does not allow me to be comfortable when playing songs at 135+bmp with a lot of cross changes.
  • I’m also having lots of trouble with strumming at hight speeds, and found that the pure elbow motion is not the best for that purpose.

Now, I tried holding my guitar as a lefty, and picking with the right hand… surprise:

• I could immediately tremolo pick with a feeling a fluidity I never had before at about 185bpm, with wrist deviation (compared to 120bpm with the right hand).
  • My elbow tremolo picking is somewhere about 210bpm (compared to 165bpm with right hand).

… and all this without any work, right out of the box with experimenting with motions or anything. On the othe rhand, it’s been three years I’ve been entirely focused on my right hand picking with no speed “pure” tremolo speed improvement. It seems like a significant change.
It seems another world of speed, and most importantly, fluidity, could open up if I picked with the left hand. Of course, I am not able to play crosspicking or string changes with the left hand, and everything I pickied with this hand was sloppy, but looking at how effortless the tremolo picking feels, I suppose it would come faster than it did with the right hand.

A side note: my right hand has also always been slow for picado (alternate rest stroke with two fingers, about 140bpm) or travis picking. However, I can’t tell much about the left hand experiment, as the result was so sloppy and chaotic that I can’t draw any speed conclusion here.

I read several posts from Troy and other members around here stating that the problem of most (all?) players who can’t pick fast “one note tremolo” was the use of an inefficient motion (the problem often being stringhopping), and not an actual matter of ability for speed.

I know taking one’s own case for study is never the best option, but it’s all I have:
After years working on right hand picking with no increase of speed (except when I accepted to go 100% elbow and use very little to no wrist), it just seems my ability for speed with the left hand/wrist/elbow is far greater than with their right counterpart, using the same motions (as far as I can tell).

This seems to me like a hint that in some case, the shear ability for speed is one of the important factors. My guess is that it’s not a muscular matter, but rather a “slower” nervous connection to the brain or something of that kind.
If this holds any truth, then there’s the question: how do we manage change that?
If we can’t, then I suppose this could be helpful to at least find a way to know when one has reached it’s potential, in order not to waste time working on something that will bring no improvements, and rather work on something else.

In my particular case, I’m starting to seriously think about re-learning to play as a lefty.
I am well to aware of all the disadvantages (hard to buy/sell guitars, impossible to swap guitars when jamming, and of course lots of work starting from 0 again).
I suppose that being able to play both ways could bring some improvement to both hands (though much less than always playing the same way, I guess).
On that subject: have you ever heard of people re-learning with the opposite hand configuration than the one they learned with? If yes, how did it go?

2 Likes

Hi Mando!
What you are describing sounds almost exactly like the experience I’ve had. I’m a fellow lefty who has been playing right-handed for many years. I also discovered at some point that my dominant left hand can effortlessly pick much faster than my right hand ever could, even though I had never practiced picking left-handed. It was a pretty depressing realization, to say the least.

I hoped my right hand might eventually catch up, but in my case, practice doesn’t seem to make any difference. The difference in raw picking speed potential between my left hand and my right very much seems to be “genetic” rather than a matter of technique.

After lots of trial and error, I finally decided to get a left-handed guitar as an experiment just to see where it takes me.

I have now been practicing playing left-handed for about half a year and I’ve got to say that, from a purely technical point of view, I’m definitely better off playing lefty. Of course, it’s a huge adjustment and I still have a very long way to go, but it’s been a fun journey so far.

But I suppose it’s different for everybody. After all, the vast majority of lefties seem to play right-handed and there are so many amazing pickers among them. For many people, picking speed really seems to be just a matter of practice, but in my particular case, it appears to be dictated entirely by my handedness. I guess what works for some lefties may not necessarily work for others.

If you are curious to find out how you would do playing left-handed, I would say there is no harm in trying. If it turns out to be not your thing, you can always go back to playing righty.

I’m not giving up playing right-handed, by the way, but when I play righty I now focus on having fun rather than trying to push my physical abilities.

1 Like

Great to hear your experience MariusN!

It’s really a curious thing that the ability for something such a picking fast would be so different (for certain people, of course) depending on which hand we use. How much would be “genetic”, and how much from early age learning? I wonder.

Your testimony does not depress me actually. If I have to work a lot to re-learn everything… well it’s annoying sure, but no problem. But having a chance to get better… That is just something I have been desperate to find for the last three years!

I’ll buy a cheap left handed guitar and try.
As you did, I won’t give up on “normal right handed playing”, as there’s plenty of music that can still be played without a speedy picking hand, and the ability to pick up any guitar and play is just to good to forget.

-Worst case scenario: I find no improvement and stop the “experiment in a few month”. It would be a waste of time in that case, but I feel I’m wasting my time trying everything with no success on my picking hand at the moment, anyway.
-Best scenario: I re-learn to fret with the right hand without too much of a hassle, and the left hand does actually pick much better…
All in all, there’s not much to loose and much to gain.

In your case, was it very hard to re-learn to fret with the right hand (and play in sinc)?
You mention that you feel your technique is better after just half a year practicing as a lefty, but is that picking hand only, or your general ability to play technical stuff?

Now to get back to the “general subject”:
If there are indeed limations to one’s speed (with one or both hands), it would be interesting to be able to identify that limit. This way one could avoid wasting time working on something with no possibility for improvement, or if there is a way to solve the issue (which I suppose is the case, as the brain plasticity is quite impressive from what I heard), focus on that part of the problem.

I read recommendations to try this test: “tapping” on a table with one’s fist, moving only from the wrist. The top speed doing that would be about 10-20bpm more than the actual max picking speed.
This would work in my case, as the speed on my right hand doing this quite a bit lower than with my left hand… But not to the same extent as my picking speed.

If that “test” is a thruthful indicator of the speed ability, then this would mean my left hand is faster, but I have not yet reached my maximum potential with the left hand… Which would bring us back to the most common, sensible theory around here: slow speed is mostly a result of the use of a inneficient motion.

In that case, maybe working on the faster picking hand (in my case, the left) could actually be a way to get the feel of an efficient and smooth motion and make it work for the other hand (for me, right).
I’ll experiment with that, and see if my lefty practice brings anything to my righty playing.

That would probably be of no use for most righty people, because it would be suprising if their left hand was faster than their dominant hand.
But for lefty people struggling with shear picking speed, maybe that’s a tool to dig.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly! :slightly_smiling_face:

Teaching my right hand to fret and getting both hands in sync has definitely been challenging, but so far I’ve got the impression that my right hand is more “willing” to learn fretting technique than picking. I would say that hand synchronization is still the most limiting factor for me right now, but I’m already starting to feel more comfortable alternate-picking scale runs and patterns at higher tempos than when playing right-handed. Of course, it’s all still pretty rough and there is still a lot of sloppiness to get rid of, but overall it feels like I’m heading in the right direction.

Absolutely, that’s well worth looking into. Best of luck with your experiment!

1 Like