Legato Lick (Sloppy when fast)

Hi guys, I been working slowly to a metronome on a paul Gilbert lick I found, and I feel when I speed up, the speed is there but the note lengths are all different. What do you guys think and how could I fix this?

1 Like

A longer example might help demonstrate this better… But, I’d say that focusing on a loose, relaxed fretting hand should help here, and I’d also try maybe playing this against a 16th note click rather than just a 1/4 note metronome, while slowly ascending the tempo, to really hone in on where you’re falling off meter.

An uneven rhythmic grouping CAN be a really slick, effective sound… but it’s even better when it’s a conscious choice and you can play it flowing meter-perfect, too.

1 Like

Firstly I really like the way you are playing the lick - nice legato style you have going on. I agree with @Drew - ascend more the tempo more slowly to pinpoint where it is moving away from what you want.

Also sometimes it helps to think of the phrase as a Melody - so the goal becomes trying to play the melody at a faster speed - and if the melody is changing - you are losing control of it. Hope that makes sense!

1 Like