Lightly supinated picking is feeling pretty natural

Some improv over a synthwave backing track, first portion is all sweeping but most of it is alternate picked

3 Likes

Awesome. Your form looks beautiful.

I’m curious, have you experimented with swybrid picking at all? It would be totally compatible with your form and your mechanics.

2 Likes

Any suggested synth wave stuff? I’ve been listening to a lot of EDM and trying to build awesome guitar lines for electric music. It’s been very creative

1 Like

First, thank you that means a lot!

Second - I’ve tried swybrid a little bit, but not much. I’ve also only done a small amount of practice with hybrid picking more generally. I have done a lot of tapping practice in the past so I know I can work up the dexterity but I think overall being left hand dominant I haven’t focused as much on fine motor dexterity in my right hand.

It’s definitely something I’ve been thinking of working on next, so maybe I’ll give it a shot.

2 Likes

Oh yeah for sure - so the backing track I used there comes from this channel

As far as synthwave artists- top for me are
The Midnight
Carpenter Brut
Perturbator
Dance With The Dead

Here’s an 8 hour playlist of mostly synthwave I made

That’s funny, I’m almost the polar opposite. I am hilariously terrible at tapping, but I’ve spent a lot of time with hybrid picking and it’s very prevalent in my playing.

I wasn’t comfortable with sweeping at all when I was a teenager. Whenever there were swept phrases in something I was learning, I would re-arrange them to include string skipping and legato instead, like Paul Gilbert.

I was in my mid-twenties when I finally got comfortable with basic sweeping, and I was incorporating hybrid picking from the beginning. I have basically no sweeping vocabulary that isn’t swybrid.

I’ve also never done much two-octave sweeping, and I’m not very comfortable with it. In principle, the swybrid mechanics I have should be capable of those big sweeps, but I haven’t developed that vocabulary yet.

1 Like

Interesting, yeah I began a primary legato player because it was so easy to do comparatively for my left hand, and that extended to tapping when I discovered Van Halen. Eventually it evolved into sweeping and economy- though I was really just starting to develop my economy picking in my late teens not long before I stopped seriously practicing the first time.

I always did the alternate picking exercises like tremolo on each string to develop even picking at different speeds. And my single string tremolo picking has never been below 200BPM 16th notes - I remember trying to push it to 300 using the hyperpicking twitching plus some finger motion but it was never very even. And I ran into the issue of translating tremolo picking to actual lines even after getting even bursts.

Rusty Cooley was a breakthrough there along with me thinking with my hand size that it was logical to use all four fingers on each string instead of 3NPS so I inadvertently avoided a lot of escape issues by working on runs like that which probably ow would give me tendonitis.

Never developed a really consistent 3NPS strict picking approach until the last couple of years.

1 Like

What 4nps licks did you acquire from Rusty? Never really tried these but would be cool to Add

Thanks for the video links. To be honest I don’t really know the difference between all the electro music titles like EDm vs Synthwave. But it’s been a blast to jam to, and quite hard to create good fitting lines over it.

1 Like

Nice playing! Form is coming along.

3 Likes

Oh man - exercises on the Chops From Hell website from 2007 lol - to be clear I do not recommend trying to do that. The one that really stuck out to me at the time was this

And I remember trying to alternate pick it and that sort of working, then trying to work out my own shapes.

1 Like

Bro wtf lmao crazy lick. Any tabs lol

1 Like

Thanks! CtC has definitely been a big part in finding that form/consistency

@carranoj25 I think this is the tab for it

1 Like

Hell yeah brotha, cheers from jersey

1 Like

Sounding great and making it look effortless!

1 Like