Logging elite-level tempos or "notes per second"?

It would be pretty cool to have a quick reference of different ‘elite level’ technical players and what kind of note-value/tempo (or just ‘notes per second’) figures they get on different types of playing…say, sweep, legato, pure picking, etc etc. Then look at one way slanting vs two way, etc, etc.

Most of my musical study has been with jazz, and in that genre, 8ths at 350 is considered a bit of a mecca that few guitarists can pull off while still improvising fluently. ‘Double timing’ (which basically just means playing 16ths) at 200 is something you don’t really hear the average jazz guitarist do (kind of gets to a point where it stops making musical sense anyway.) But I recognize that in ‘shred’ oriented genres, those notes-per-second values might be considered slow.

Has anybody here really nerded out about different players and this type of data?

For what it’s worth, I made this chart I think is interesting, feel free to copy it and play with it:

The red figures are for a tempo for the note value to the left of the red. Then the remaining figures on the right give what the tempo would be for the same “notes per second” if we’re considering the note as a different rhythmic value. For example we can see that 8th notes at 285 is the same as 16th note triplets at 95.

Useful to note that rows 3,5,7, and 9 are all independent of each other - I just give an option for different note values as a base.

And yes, I recognize this all has very little to do with actual music making, but I find this stuff interesting and just fun to think about.

1 Like

Cell G9 has a couple of typos that are throwing things off. It has the formula “=$B$7*(6)” but should be “=$B9*(6)”.

1 Like

oh thanks, good catch! it was actually a bunch of cells in that row. shows you how often i’m playing 16th note triplets :grinning:

There is a good list originally posted on the petrucci forum that kinda ties in with this. The top dog was Shawn Lane who clocked in around 18nps (16th note triplets at 180bom) as far as improv is concerned i think you’re about right with the 16ths at 180bpm - 200bpm. The closest I’ve heard to ‘real improv’ and picking would be early JM ( shakti etc) and of course Benson. Both from memory playing short passages around that 200bpm range.

2 Likes

JAB would be really cool if you had a link for that from the Petrucci forum!

I updated my spreadsheet to have a notes-per-second option.

Did a little googling, not sure if these are accurate, but:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=44687

1 Like