Looking for General Feedback

Hey Guys, really just looking for general feedback on my right hand motion. Does it look like it’s gonna limit me in any way for speed or endurance at higher speeds down the line?

I posted a clip of me alternate picking power chords a few years ago and Troy said it looked like a wrist motion and fine to use. No idea if I am still doing that same motion for stuff on the higher strings or in general. I felt like I was mostly using my arm with the technique in these new clips, but I don’t think I see my arm moving a whole lot. Maybe wrong on that though.

Also is the pinky bending like that limiting in any way? didn’t even know I was doing that until I saw these clips.

Does it look like I am pick slanting anywhere close to a way you guys would recommend? With my very limited understanding of it, it felt like I was pick slanting down a lot for the 2 notes per string clip (part of pick i’m gripping titled more towards the floor). I also tried trying to not pick slant down recently when doing the 2 nps picking recently and it seemed like it actually made it smoother. Not sure though.

I think I’m in dire need of a subscription to actually understand what the hell is going on. Gonna get one in the next couple days.

The tremolo is a bit sloppy. Haven’t tried doing much alternate picking for a while before recording these. But it was cleaner at one point using this same motion when I was practicing it more.

Do you see a big difference in my motion when slow vs. fast and is this an issue if you do? Played everything slow once before fast so you could see.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/e2s0K4v5y1E (Gallops)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i0X6VNGkeQU (2 notes per string)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wd-MqfYrwRI (Trem speed burst)

Also, if youtube shorts don’t allow you to zoom in (if you need to to evaluate), I can try to upload as regular videos. Couldn’t figure out how to, but probably could if I put more time into it.

Looks great from my perspective. To me, it looks like you are doing RDT but possibly with a bit more arm/elbow motion for the trem.

It would be cool to see some longer passages/licks as it’s hard to make recommendations based on such short bursts.

Totally guessing here, but I imagine if you are having issues, it would be because of differences between your slow and fast techniques. Your fast technique and setup looks fine, nice work!

Appreciate the feedback! I’ll see if I can get something longer recorded in the near future, definitely can’t play at that tempo for longer passages though, so it may not end up being the same motion. I’m not sure though.

Gonna take a look at the RDT!

@Troy If you have a moment, would love to hear any feedback & guidance from you on where to go from here. Should I just look more into Reverse Dart Thrower if that’s what it looks like I’m doing? Just signed up for a membership

This motion looks like it could be pretty good but I’d just follow the steps in the Primer. Take the joint motion tests so you know what you’re dealing with, and then if you’d like to make a platform TC with some “down the strings” examples of tremolo or other phrases, we’d be happy to take a look!

Here are some filming tips:

Make sure you’re plugged in when recording any TC clips so we can hear what the attack sounds like. And please avoid super shorty bursty things, as it make it hard to see whether the continuous motion is smooth, has any unexpected variation in attack, develops fatigue, etc. Generally speaking, in our experience if a technique is working it will be fast, feel easy, have endurance, etc. And if it’s not, playing short “bursts” of it won’t do anything to improve any of those things.

Re: endurance, we were talking about that in another thread. Do you have a ballpark threshold for how long a “good” motion should be sustainable? I heard you say in a pretty recent primer video to try a 20 second test, and you referenced Wolgang VH doing a pretty fast tremolo for a little longer than that. I think it was this one

More specifically, should we be concerned with a motion that won’t hold up for a full minute? I think that was a threshold we were discussing in that ‘other’ thread but I don’t recall where we got that number :thinking: Or is this too subjective to put a number on?

1 Like

I think it depends on lots of factors like what type of joint motion, what you’re trying to play, how fast you’re playing, what you played before, etc. So rather than trying to solve for unknowns, I would just think about practical concerns. Is there something you’re trying to play where you get tired and you see other people do it all the time without getting tired? If so then that’s probably a good sign that they may be doing something different than you, and more performance may be available if you do something more like what they are doing.

4 Likes

Awesome, will do. My bad if I jumped the gun posting some videos before being familiar with the basic stuff! I’ll keep all of that it mind next time I post a video.

I pretty much only have been doing stuff on sets of strings since I started working more on picking. Mainly a guitar part for a sing I want to try to record.

When I post something again, Is a longer passage on just the 3 highest strings ok instead of something using all 6?

Also a riff using lowest 3 strings for downpicking and galloping type stuff?

This depends on the type of problem you’re trying to diagnose. We can learn a lot by looking at a simple tremolo on a single note on a single string, filmed from a “down the strings” angle.

If you’re not familiar with which joint motion you’re using and which escape(s) it’s producing — or the concept of escape motion in general — it’s a good idea to watch through the Primer. Watch the lessons up to and including the section called “Choosing A Technique”. This should give you a better idea what your technique is doing. We’ll still figure that stuff out with you in the TC, but at least this way you’ll know what we’re looking at and why.

After that, make a TC and include a down-the-strings tremolo clip of at least 10 seconds or so, and one or two other representative clips showing any problems you’re experiencing. Just make sure to scan the TC help section for tips on filming yourself and uploading those clips. The process is a little different for IOS and Android, and also getting the filming right really helps:

Please use the platform for the TC, not the forum. We’re happy to take a look!

Thanks a ton Troy! I will definitely do all of that. Thought “down the strings” meant a scale or pattern down the strings from 6th to 1st. :laughing: I’m following now. Just checked out the Filming Your Playing section.

Hi Troy, whenever you get a second, just wanted to make sure this is an ok down the strings angle before I try to film a couple more clips to submit a critique. Thanks!

I don’t have any useful feedback here besides that your articulation sounds fucking GREAT to my ears and super aggressive. I’m envious!

1 Like

Agreed. Submitting a TC might be pointless other than the satisfaction of having Troy say “nailed it!” about one’s own playing :slight_smile: Sounds awesome @JacksonC and looks really effortless too.

1 Like

Awesome looks right on — that’s the framing we’re looking for. Just make sure it’s at least 120p slow motion if possible, especially if you want to see what’s going on with string change stuff.

Alright, great. Thanks for the reply. Is slowing it down with an app after filming gonna mess up the footage in any way? I don’t have a phone that will slow down the video unfortunately. @Troy

@eric_divers @joebegly Really appreciate it! there’s other stuff I seem to be having some issues with on the higher strings though. It seems like I might be doing something different once I get up there. Also want to get some expert eyes on what motion I’m using. I kind of have an idea after watching the primer, but I don’t really trust myself to make that call.

1 Like

Awesome, wicked picking - thanks for sharing!

If you plan on uploading footage to the site, you don’t need to slow anything down. We want the full frame rate file so we can slow it down ourselves. Here are the instructions:

No problem! I appreciate it

Ah, ok good to know. I’ll check those out!