Looks like Troy made The Rolling Stones list!

Rrriiggghtttt…that’s the issue really, for me. The music, no VOX, effing awesome. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of that. All those bands just do nothing but scream and I can’t take it. The only ones I can tolerate are ones that at least split it up with some melodic parts. Still, NO SREAMING is even better lol!

It’s a fantastic cover. I like how he saves most of his own ideas for the ending, which one of my favorite sections/transitions in his entire catalog.

I think the reason I’m such a big fan of Satch is that in his first 6 albums, he was constantly evolving and that was happening as I was getting started and trying to learn and evolve in my own playing. From Surfing to Engines, each album is quite a bit different and I think all of them are masterpieces in their own right. Surfing was him pushing the idea of instrumental rock, Flying was him trying to incorporate vocals and expanding on what he did on SWtA. The Extremist is just a great big rock and roll album, the self-titled is WAY different and actually took me a bit to understand it. Crystal Planet, which I think is his best overall album, was sort of him “reclaiming” his GOAT status (for me) and then it’s topped off with Engines of Creation, which was such a wild idea at the time.

And that’s actually around the time I tuned out. From all instrumental/guitar based music actually. I was early into my GIT days and I knew that if one of my favorites put out an album that I’d sit in front of the CD player with the book and learn it front to back. I’d forget all about what I was there to do. Luckily for me, Satch kinda stopped truly “evolving” and kind of laid back into a groove and just put out good, solid rock and roll instrumental music, and I didn’t really miss anything revolutionary. In fact, I didn’t listen to any of his albums (not including the live ones) after Engines until I started playing again this year. Same with all of my early heroes. There was actually a point around 2010 when I tried to listen to some of it just to see if I still liked it. I started with Dream Theater and… I just couldn’t get into it. I “forgot” how to listen to that kind of stuff. I didn’t bother to try anyone else.

Now that I’m back in the game, I get to discover so many phenomenal players and bands. It’s awesome. And it’s awesome to know that Satch is still doing it and doing it well. I’ve liked all of his records that came out during that gap. I can’t say the same for most of my other heroes, though. I grew out of most of them, either by changing tastes or just flat out disappointment. But Joe has never let me down. Ever.

1 Like

Imo Pantera were the best at it… they found the balance.
Dimebag was a really exciting player. super creative, with really great concepts and again, aggression, but melodic. Doug Steel is another great player.

1 Like

Dimebag was SO good. Not a fan of his tone, but I’ll assume maybe that was the engineer’s fault lol I never saw them live to confirm. But his style and feel and chops were just ridiculous. I still remember reading a Guitar World interview with Vai where he said Dime’s chops were better than his. Not sure if I agree totally, but for him to even say that about anyone. Sheesh. You know you’ve “made it” when Steve Vai says you’re good.

1 Like

yes, those Randall SS amp. kind of a buzzsaw thing going on. not my fave, but he made it work…

Norifumi Shima? Ronnie Letekro?

I was lucky enough to see Pantera 9 times before Far Beyond Driven, so pretty much when Phil was at his best vocally. I enjoyed them more the heavier they got on albums but I’ve seen footage of their later shows and…. Poor Anselmo…. Lol I shared a rehearsal space with a band that used one of the signature Dime amps and…. Freaking gross. I just couldn’t get a good tone out of that thing. Neither could the other band, but I’d never tell them that…

2 Likes

He deserves it. Nile Rogers is an amazing guitarist and has written more hits and sold more records than all the shredders in the world combined. Probably. I don’t really know. The point is he’s hugely influential, just not to metalheads. There’s way more to great guitar than shredding.

Doesn’t really matter. We all like what we like. Rolling Stone doesn’t enter in to it. No hate. They’re trying to make a living, just like everybody.

1 Like

I’m not a metalhead. At. All.

Nile Rodger’s is certainly influential. Just not as a guitarist, and certainly not ahead of men such as SRV, Rhoads, Clapton, Montgomery, Christian, Reinhardt……and Les Paul !?!?

Absurd.

He’s hugely influential as a guitarist. But I guess not in a style that interests you.

I love metal, by the way. That wasn’t intended as an insult.

There’s no accounting for tastes, and I have no argument with you. I don’t consider having a different opinion to be a disagreement. I think Nile Rogers is a badass. Maybe you don’t. Fine with me.

I’m not just a metal head but a METAL!! head. And I think he belongs, I just don’t know where. In the top 40? Maybe?

But it is indicative of the list itself in that… It just doesn’t make sense. I’ve said that before but it bares repeating lol

3 Likes

We’ll agree to disagree on that one word.

1 Like

This guy? I’d never really paid much attention to him but he seems like a pretty adept creative; some pretty decent chops in this one if we judge by fleetness of fingers alone! I mean, there’s no bleep blorp whoosh shred antics, but then again music is more of a language than it is an athletic endeavour I think… Not sure I give a s*** about “best of” lists, but thumbs up to this dude!

2 Likes

As for Nile he’s awesome, I’d easily put him in the GOAT rhythm guitarists conversation. (Which is a reason I find lists like rolling stones to be reductive we wouldn’t compare country/folk fiddle players to concert classical violinists, different idioms, different standards.)

When people think disco guitar he’s the guy. His work with Bowie on “Let’s Dance” with SRV handling lead is awesome (Bowie purists can fight me, it’s a good album)

More recently his work on Draft Punk’s final album is one of my favorite pieces of guitar work in a pop context of the last decade.

Side note is Daft Punk the only artist in history to include pedal steel guitar on what is essentially a disco song? Greg Leisz never disappoints. It’s cool they recognized it’s potential as a timbral bridge between the acoustic and electronic.

2 Likes

Nile Rodgers is an amazingly influential guitarist in the same way that the foundations are an incredibly important part of a house.

You don’t really notice them per se, but if they weren’t there, there’d be a lot of problems.

2 Likes

For the record - I never said he wasn’t influential. Just not as a guitarist, and certainly not in the top 10 of an all-time list of guitarists. He’s just not.

Tommy Tedesco is quite possibly the most recorded guitarist in history. He helped create and performed on hundreds of hit records.

Credits include the themes from Bonanza, The Twilight Zone, MASH and Batman. He played on The Beach Boys Pet Sounds album.

Every last one of us has heard Tommy Tedesco and been influenced by him in some manner. ….yet he’s not even mentioned….and Joni Mitchell is.

/massivefacepalm

The point isn’t Nile Rodgers’ presence. The point is the list is grade A prime excrement. I expect little else from Rolling Stone.

2 Likes

Perhaps that is because Tommy was a session cat (playing sheet music) and Joni headlined an influential band? :thinking: I don’t read Rolling Stone, but they seem to be interested in influential artists who shake the industry, and not so much technical excellence.

1 Like

Nobody is going to name Joni Mitchell as an influential guitarist. Except Rolling Stone.

Tommy Tedesco and the entire Wrecking Crew did not simply play from sheet music. Their contribution was well past simple sight-reading. They wrote many of the riffs others took credit for. Tedesco could read better than anyone - but another Wrecking Crew member, Glenn Campbell - couldn’t read a note.

Those cats made up some of the most iconic hooks ever.

Carol Kaye made up the bass hook for Good Vibrations. Basically on the spot.

Legends.

1 Like

Brent Mason didn’t make the list either did he? Anyone that’s ever heard country from the late 80s onward has heard him. He might be the most recorded guitarist of all time.

Brooks & Dunn
Alan Jackson
Shania Twain
George Strait

The list goes on

2 Likes

If you don’t know, the story of The Wrecking Crew, you owe it to yourself to watch the movie.

https://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/mobi/index.php

1 Like

Correct, he was snubbed. BUT he made the list in the OP that Troy was also in :slight_smile:

Much like @Ruefus mentioned:

I’m almost positive the same can be said of Brent. I read some quote from him, which I will misquote because this was 20+ years ago, something along the lines of “When you’re a studio musician you’ve got to pretend you’re part of the band. You have to play to suit the song”.

He’s a MONSTER player but he wrote plenty of just laid back but super catchy hooks.

2 Likes