Lysander technique critique thread

Spinning this off from my other thread to keep things cleaner, here is a video of my picking 4nps just a hair above 160 bpm.
This is using the trigger grip which I have just converted too.
It’s not as clean as I would like to be honest, and it took a few takes, hopefully this will become more fluent.

2 Likes

It looks good, nice solld upward escaped stroke.

As far as getting faster and cleaner, I would try playing around with different mechanics. Honestly, that’s the easiest way I’ve found to get past any plateau. experimenting with other mechanics… forearm rotation, thumb movements, etc. Sorry I can’t offer super technical analysis, but that is what Troy is for.

2 Likes

I’ve been going through the EJ seminar clips one by one trying to get them close to top speed, this one is giving me a lot of trouble for some reason, I’m struggling to get the last 4 notes clean at speed

Not entirely sure if the issue is with my left or right hand but it tends to sound messy and dead - I must have spent at least an hour on that chunk so far. Will keep at it.

Solved my issue and posted a related discussion here:

This is actually related to something I’m working on myself and I’ve arrived at a similar conclusion. Maybe it’s just the result of doing lots of index-middle-ring finger triple hammer-ons and pull-offs for 20 years but I find those 3 fingers to be the most reliable in almost any context IF they’re usable.

Lots of stuff falls apart for me when I have to rely on my pinky and ring finger in quick succession and I’m realizing it’s possible to just use either or and have it work out.