Make videos without a webcam or magnet?

Anyone have any advice on how I can take video for technique critique? Webcams right now are way out of my price range. I can take video with my Moto G7, but I can’t figure out how to get a proper shot while holding my guitar correctly.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn’t think it was really appropriate for any other.

Heh, I have had GREAT success doing the following

Take a simple C clamp like this and use a couple small bits of cardboard or leather (I use leather) so that the clamp doesn’t mark your guitar’s neck/finish and clamp it to the neck where a magnet device would normally sit.

Once you’ve got THAT setup, I just clamp my phone to it using a couple very cheap spring clamps like these.

It gets you unreasonably good video angles for pennies. Definitely not as clean and nice as the magnet, but while I wait for my kickstarter package to arrive, it’s a very reasonable and workable alternative.

Here’s my actual setup, only with an old crappy Nexus instead of my current phone which I used to actually TAKE the pictures… anyway, hope this helps.

Edit -HAH I just realized I have the phone on the wrong side of the clamp. It’ll get excellent footage of my shitty fretting! Anyway, you get the idea I’m sure.

2 Likes

@JB_Winnipeg WOW thanks! I actually have C Clamps from being a tech haha, and a couple of the squeeze clamps too. I just need to find some leather then, or something similar. Thank you so much for that advice!

1 Like

Honestly, a standard issue tripod can work ok if you just point the headstock toward the lens. Just get a ten-dollar phone mount and a cheap floor-standing tripod.

Well where’s the fun in that though?

LET ME HAVE THIS ONE THING TROY!

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit: Discourse auto-edited my quote away, so to be clear, I’m reacting to your latest comment, not your epic MacGyver magnet.

2 Likes

Oh I have a cheap tripod, if the phone mount is cheap… I’ll look into that.

In general, here are some more tips for doing this:

Thanks Troy, that will certainly give me an idea.

You should totally go with this to Shark Tank! I wish I could purchase a Magnet :frowning: