Malmsteen Stratocaster USA vs JP 2020+

Hi i am considering to get one of them. They are both in same price US(secong hand ) Japan new. I do not know wich one should i get. Both are 2021-2022, so quite fresh. I tried only JP for now and i really like it. My biggest problem is a NECK profile. I think that JP one is thinner and its not wide as USA one. Did someone before compared them? Seller of US one sent me a picture. Its looks like the neck is wider and string spacing is also wider, atleast is wider then my Japan Boxer Stratocaster. I read forum a lot and people had a problem with string falling from the frets on high E. I need to go for about 400km to test the US model so i really do not want to waste much time.
The only difference i spot on models are:
Fret : Super Jumbo vs Medium Jumbo(jp)
Nut: 42mm vs 41mm
Case: Yes vs Soft
Deeper Scallop on USA model.

So did someone try or have both and can measure maybe both necks widths at 12th.

My OCD is giving me a hemorrhage reading you post. I think it doesn’t matter where you are coming from or what your current guitar is. All that matters is who you like better, JP or YJM. Sounds like you know nothing, best place to be.

2 Likes

He means a Japanese made vs a USA made Malmsteen, not a Malmsteen vs a Petrucci.

I think

2 Likes

Oh that makes a lot more sense then.

I think then the american one is the default choice due to the type of scallops. The american guitar has radiused scallops, the MIJ may not. Also the Body size and head stock are usually slightly different, I just prefer the USA. built model as it matches my other strats closer.

1 Like

If they’re both YJM models, I’d be inclined to go with the USA model. Especially if you’re unsure.

If you end up not liking it, you can probably sell it for what you paid. Any new guitar is going to drop in value.

Just my two-cents.