Martin Miller “throwing'' from the shoulder movement

Watching Martin Miller again, and it looks like he is more or less throwing his arm up and down (don’t know how to describe this in other words) from the shoulder to get this particular flow going on for the one note per string stuff. Within this flow he then puts in the fine picking movements.
This movement has to come from the shoulder in my opinion, because the whole arm moves a bit towards the neck side.
If it came from the ellbow the arm would move to the bridge side.

It is stringtracking of course, but in a way i have not see any other player do.
Even when playing just on one string this movement is still a bit present.

Look from about 6:32 in this last vid Troy did with Martin, it is very obvious here:

first thought upon looking at it: in essence its just string tracking. By using 2 joints (elbow AND shoulder) he is able to more or less track the hand in a straighter line whereas with elbow only tracking the movement would be more circular and thus change all the the pertinent angles and add extra complications

that being said, i feel safe to assume we can find others doing similar crosspicking with totally different tracking methods lol

I have thought some on these same lines for basic 3nps picking. I was under the impression that I string tracked more than I do, but when I saw my latest tech vid I realized I was doing more of the “clockface” tracking.

My current thought is that id rather have a basic grooved 3nps method that I then simply add a more arm based string tracking to as opposed to just clockfacing the hand itself which then changes the angles of picking on each set of strings etc

“that being said, i feel safe to assume we can find others doing similar crosspicking with totally different tracking methods lol”

True, but im my opinion no one does it as clean and consistent as Martin.
So maybe that this specifick stringtracking motion is the key to get it that clean.

1 Like